Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   25 Gallon Amazonian Biotype (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/25-gallon-amazonian-biotype-106362/)

Pearl2011 07-05-2012 11:13 PM

25 Gallon Amazonian Biotype

If I were to do an amazonian bio type in my 25 gallon, would these option work? And what are some other considerations for a ABT community?

12 Ember tetras
Bristle Nose Pleco
1 pair of blue rams (or is there another dwarf I could go with?)

School of corydoras
SAL
School of caridnals/neons (which is hardiest? and less wild caught?)

School of hatchet fish
BN Pleco
School of small tetras

Plants: Amazon frog bit and duckweed
Amazon sword, pygmy chain sword, vals, and anubias. Can a Tiger lotus go in there?
I have driftwood that seems to leach tannins, so yay me :p

Are they're any other fish or plants species that are native that I could use? (I still need to do my research for most of those fish).

Thanks for any help!! :))

Byron 07-06-2012 02:03 PM

First question is, just how "authentic" do you want this to be? A strict biotope will restrict you to fish and plants (if any) that are found together in a particular stream. A geographic Amazonian setup will mean fish and plants native to the Amazon but not necessarily found together. The latter obviously has more options in terms of fish species, and plants.

Second question, what are your tap water parameters? GH (general hardness) and pH will be very important if the fish are to be wild caught; if fish are commercially raised there are still limits.

Third, what is the tank length? This is somewhat more important than the volume.

On paper, any of your 3 setups will work, but your answer to the above points will impact these.

Byron.

Pearl2011 07-06-2012 02:47 PM

I think I would want the amazon in general. More species available to put in. The length is 24 inches, but is is 20 inches tall.
From the tap:
pH: 6.4
GH: 75 (according to the city-website-thing-a-ma-bob). I believe that is soft?

Is the Siamese algae eater form the amazon? Was thinking about that now and realized the amazon isn't Siamese. Or is it? 2 25 watts screw in bulbs are too bright, even with floating plants, right? This is the list of plants:

Pygmy chain sword
Amazon Sword
Large Leaf Amazon sword
Amazon frog bit and Duckweed
Red Melon sword

Pearl2011 07-06-2012 03:30 PM

1. The amazon in general as it will probably give me more options.

2. pH: 6.4 GH: 75 (from the city's website)

3. 24x20x12 (LxHxW)

Siamese Algae Eaters and BN Plecos are from there (right?) So that could be my algae eater. Cardinal, neon or ember tetras, and as a 'focal' point' 2 blue rams.

Pearl2011 07-06-2012 03:45 PM

On AqAdvisor.com I put in what I wanted and it said that with an AquaClear 20 my tank does not have enough filtration capacity. My stocking list was:
12 cardinal tetras
2 Blue Rams
1 BM Pleco

How is the filter only 58%?! My stocking is 106%. Won't live plants help this?

Byron 07-06-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1143757)
I think I would want the amazon in general. More species available to put in. The length is 24 inches, but is is 20 inches tall.
From the tap:
pH: 6.4
GH: 75 (according to the city-website-thing-a-ma-bob). I believe that is soft?

Is the Siamese algae eater form the amazon? Was thinking about that now and realized the amazon isn't Siamese. Or is it? 2 25 watts screw in bulbs are too bright, even with floating plants, right? This is the list of plants:

Pygmy chain sword
Amazon Sword
Large Leaf Amazon sword
Amazon frog bit and Duckweed
Red Melon sword

Water is very good. Yes, 75 must be ppm (or mg/liter) which equates with 4 dGH which is perfect as it is very soft but just enough hard mineral for the plants. The pH is excellent too; it will likely lower as the biology settles, so when the tank is set up test the pH periodically--maybe prior to the first water change, then 3-4 days later, then just before the next water change. See where this gets you. Don't worry about a lowering pH, but you do want to know what it does.

The tank size is ideal for quiet fish, so this means no active swimmers but rather cruising browsers.:lol: Cardinal tetra are such, and with your water these will be at their best. Pencilfish, any species except Nannostomus beckfordi which is too active; the others are all quiet browsers. And the small hatchetfish in the genus Carnegiella, the Marble Hatchetfish or the Black-Winged Hatchetfish are best. Check the profiles. Ember Tetra are fine, no problem with the other suggested fish here. And you could do the Blue Ram, but here you need warm water, 82F, and not all fish or plants will last. Before I get into breaking this down, give the ram some thought; myself, I wold prefer more smaller fish rather than a pair of rams that will limit other fish--and when they spawn, look out, the catfish will be targets.

Siamese Algae is Asian, and gets too large and feisty for this tank. The Bristlenose Pleco is fine, or for something different and because you have the perfect water for it, Twig Catfish. Check profile. The Whiptail Catfish and related Red Lizard Whiptail are other possibilities, all peaceful, quiet fish, good algae eaters, with interest (looking rather "prehistoric") as well.:-)

Plants. Forget the Echinodorus cordifolius, it is much too large. The pygmy chain sword or the chain sword, ideal. One Amazon Sword as a display plant. Dwarf Sword if you can find them. Amazon Frogbit is a nice plant, but i cannot keep it in my tanks, and I have decided it is either the closed top or the soft water, or both. And as you will have this too (with hatchets you must have a good cover) you can try it and see, but be prepared. Water Sprite grows very well in all my tanks. Or Brazilian Pennywort left floating works too.

Filter. I would suggest something else to minimize water movement. This is where a simple sponge filter connected to a small air[pump works fine. I use this on my smaller (under 50g) tanks. Or an internal sponge-type, such as the Fluval U series if you don't want an air pump; air pumps are noisy, so if that is an issue, go with the Fluval U1 or U2.

Pearl2011 07-06-2012 11:16 PM

How did I post three times?! I kept trying because it wouldn't! I spent five minute reloading! Sorry if I seem like I'm mental (cause I iz)
Dont BN plecos have a possibility of graving through plants anyway? I will look at the other possibilities too. Stocking list so far:
Whiptail catfish (or the like)
12 Cardinals

What other fish . . . maybe a school of corydoras, or a couple other fish. So many fish, so little tank :p

Byron, you probably the most helpful person on the forum. Thank you so so SO much.

Byron 07-07-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1144559)
How did I post three times?! I kept trying because it wouldn't! I spent five minute reloading! Sorry if I seem like I'm mental (cause I iz)
Dont BN plecos have a possibility of graving through plants anyway? I will look at the other possibilities too. Stocking list so far:
Whiptail catfish (or the like)
12 Cardinals

What other fish . . . maybe a school of corydoras, or a couple other fish. So many fish, so little tank :p

Byron, you probably the most helpful person on the forum. Thank you so so SO much.

Yes, a group of corys is fine. I gave several fish suggestions in the last post.

Pearl2011 07-07-2012 11:03 AM

Oh, and for the filter if I turn it down all the way will that be okay? I just dont have the money to buy a new filter. If the gravel isn't that dark, is it okay?

Byron 07-07-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1144936)
Oh, and for the filter if I turn it down all the way will that be okay? I just dont have the money to buy a new filter. If the gravel isn't that dark, is it okay?

Substrate colour and grain size is important. Don't know what you have, but a fine gravel (grains 1-2 mm) or sand (sand esp if substrate fish like corys or loaches are intended) is best, and dark but as long as it isn't white.

You may be able to baffle the filter as well as turning it down.