Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Flourite Acceptable For Assassin Snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/flourite-acceptable-assassin-snails-106352/)

rjordan390 07-05-2012 09:21 PM

Flourite Acceptable For Assassin Snails?

I have flourite gravel in my 75 gallon tank. Can this snail survive in it?

Jayy 07-05-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan390 (Post 1142912)
I have flourite gravel in my 75 gallon tank. Can this snail survive in it?

I don't see why not, but they won't be able to borrow like they do with sand. Is there a certain reason for the snails? Are you trying to control an out break.

rjordan390 07-06-2012 05:04 AM

I found two snails. One was cone shape and was at the top of the glass; the other was a ramshorn type and was on the bottom of a leaf. I also found about a dozen eggs (around 1/16 inch) deposited on a leaf and the next day they were gone. There's a dozen more on the back glass. I had eggs on the glass about two weeks ago and I used a scraper to let them fall down onto the gravel. The eggs appear to be too big for snail eggs I think. The only fish I have that are not livebearers are albino catfish and another type which I forgot the name that is highly recommended for eating algae. The rest of my fish are all males.
The Flourite color hides the presence of snails and my plants have irregular shaped holes in them. This morning, I turned the lights on early to see if any were on the glass and there were none. So yes, I am considering purchasing assassin snails.

Jayy 07-06-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan390 (Post 1143239)
I found two snails. One was cone shape and was at the top of the glass; the other was a ramshorn type and was on the bottom of a leaf. I also found about a dozen eggs (around 1/16 inch) deposited on a leaf and the next day they were gone. There's a dozen more on the back glass. I had eggs on the glass about two weeks ago and I used a scraper to let them fall down onto the gravel. The eggs appear to be too big for snail eggs I think. The only fish I have that are not livebearers are albino catfish and another type which I forgot the name that is highly recommended for eating algae. The rest of my fish are all males.
The Flourite color hides the presence of snails and my plants have irregular shaped holes in them. This morning, I turned the lights on early to see if any were on the glass and there were none. So yes, I am considering purchasing assassin snails.

Hey, I hear ya. They're in my tank like its' the own private space. I plan to get some loaches or assassin snails.

rjordan390 07-06-2012 10:01 PM

Before I dive in and purchase them, I want to find out if the infestation is minor or major. The cone shape snail was 1/4 inch in length and the ramshorn was recently hatched and about 1/32 inch. So I tried to place some cucumber on the substrate to catch them, but it just floated to the top. What needs to be done to keep the cucumber on the substrate? I have one feeding clip with a piece of it attached to the bottom part of the glass. I would prefer to have it laying on the substrate in multiple areas.