Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What type of fish are compatible/will fit in a 5 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-type-fish-compatible-will-fit-106311/)

NoAnimalCruelty55 07-05-2012 05:48 PM

What type of fish are compatible/will fit in a 5 gallon tank?

I currently has a large 5 gallon tank with my new female crowntail betta, Nahomi. I think she's lonely and I want to add tank mates. The guy at Petsmart told me cory catfish work and so do ghost shrimp but what else will? I wanted cardinal tetras but he said they will nip Nahomi. Please help. Thanks

fish monger 07-05-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAnimalCruelty55 (Post 1142486)
I currently has a large 5 gallon tank with my new female crowntail betta, Nahomi. I think she's lonely and I want to add tank mates. The guy at Petsmart told me cory catfish work and so do ghost shrimp but what else will? I wanted cardinal tetras but he said they will nip Nahomi. Please help. Thanks

Maybe Dwarf African Frogs. They are pretty entertaining and don't bother anything. Don't know whether Nahomi would be aggressive toward them though. Nahomi and the frogs need water in the mid 70 degree range, so if you don't have a heater, get one. Good luck !

Jayy 07-05-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAnimalCruelty55 (Post 1142486)

In a 5 gallon, your pretty such stocked. The only thing I think you would be able to add is a snail or a few shrimp. A 5 gallon doesn't seem like enough room for the frogs and the fish, maybe a 10 gal. I'm also pretty sure that your betta isn't lonely, their more a lone wolf fish unlike a schooling fish.

thekoimaiden 07-05-2012 11:30 PM

I agree with Jayy. A betta is about all that can fit in a 5 gal. Some shrimp or small snails might work, but no more fish. There simply isn't enough room for any other fish.

Tazman 07-05-2012 11:42 PM

Agree on the other posts. NO other fish but perhaps a snail which stays small.

jaysee 07-05-2012 11:48 PM

I have a betta with a dwarf frog in a 5 gallon - there's plenty of space. However, if the tank is a 5 hexagon, then no frog. Shrimp and snails are fine as well.

Sanguinefox 07-06-2012 12:42 AM

Some bettas will go after and tear apart shrimp depending upon their temperament. That said the betta isn't lonely. By nature they are loners.

jaysee 07-06-2012 12:52 AM

Yes, I would not buy expensive shrimp until you know more about your fish. Even if they are fine for a while, though, it could change one day. There's nothing wrong with a betta eating shrimp. At least not for the betta ;)