Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New fishy for my desk at work (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-fishy-my-desk-work-106283/)

Lisalis 07-05-2012 12:17 PM

New fishy for my desk at work

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my happy new Betta SPIKE! I know he should be in a bigger home but this is all I can get away with at work he does have a nice little heater in there which keeps him at a cozy 82 degrees F. I plan on doing weekly water changes and have come up with a great way to "suck" out any unused food or detrius! A straw! I put my finger over the end of the straw so it is full of air, submerge the straw right above the item to be sucked up. I then lift my finger up and the pressure sucks up the detrius, then I quickly put my finger back on top of the straw to "lock" it in place and dispose of into a cup to discard. Very easy and the little tank is looking good!

Varkolak 07-06-2012 04:41 PM

Hahaha I can't wait for next weeks post "Well I was cleaning my betas detritus and sucked a little too hard... gulp" Still I'm sure hes happy to have the attention and be out of his fish store cup, maybe get him a couple real plants to nom on?

Lisalis 07-06-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varkolak (Post 1143914)
Hahaha I can't wait for next weeks post "Well I was cleaning my betas detritus and sucked a little too hard... gulp" Still I'm sure hes happy to have the attention and be out of his fish store cup, maybe get him a couple real plants to nom on?

LMBO!!! Well he already had a close call! He hopped right out of the cup he was in while I was cleaning the bowl. Lesson learned....notebook on top of cup next time!!!

I was thinking that about the plants...I have some nice size crypts in my planted tank, I could grab one and stick it in there....I'm just worried about cleaning the bowl. Tonight before I left work, I set aside half the old water and dumped the rest...carefully rinsed the TINY gravel and replaced with clean treated water-it's Marina brand water conditioner for Bettas with Almond leaf extract. I'm afraid its going to be hard to keep the plants rooted though with the TINY compartment in the middle of the cube. I also have 4 nano marimo balls....I was thinking that would be easier to keep clean without worry about cleaning the gravel....what do you think??

Olympia 07-06-2012 09:34 PM

I wouldn't have rooted plants in such a small tank, unless you cycle it. But with full water changes it's just too much hassle. I like java fern and anubias for my small betta tanks. :)
Also, betta do not eat plants, unless you starve them. They are insectivores.

Varkolak 07-06-2012 10:10 PM

I think moss balls would be fine xD

Olympia 07-06-2012 10:20 PM

Moss balls are the best ever. I have a bunch with my betta. They'd be nice in a smaller tank. In my big planted tanks they just get full of debris. They're great mini "filters."
Posted via Mobile Device