Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Do You Need Fish Stocking Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/do-you-need-fish-stocking-help-106233/)

Bacon Is Good 07-01-2012 07:06 AM

Do You Need Fish Stocking Help

Hi,

If anybody needs help stocking there tank or adding other fish I can help? You can PM or post this on the thread the follow:
* Freshwater or Saltwater
*Size Tank
*Picture of Tank
*Current Fish(if adding fish)
*Live Plants(if needed)
*Water Levels(Hardness, Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Chloramines, and Chlorine)

~Bacon Is Good

jaysee 07-01-2012 09:11 PM

Just curious - what qualifies you to be handing out stocking advice?

Bacon Is Good 07-02-2012 06:17 AM

I was going to start a company that speculizes in fish tank matnience, building, and start up amd read book upon book but I read how much it cost and how many fails have been reported and didn`t want to take the financail risk and lose all that money. So I still have info left over and I would like to use it to help people.

Tazman 07-02-2012 09:08 AM

Test Question -
When stocking a 32g tank with African Cichlids would be it be possible to house a male Auratus with 2 females, other fish would include a Demansoni Male and female. These fish would be 3-4". Filtration would be a HOB for a 40g tank.

jaysee 07-02-2012 11:04 AM

That's one of the problems with the stocking advice people so freely hand out. Unless you have actually kept a fish in a variety of situations, you just don't know. I say a variety of situations because someone who has only kept a particular fish in one tank size with one set of tank mates will have a limited understanding of the fish. People say goldfish need 20 gallons all the time, and someone who's only kept their goldfish in a 20 would obviously agree with that, but anyone who has kept a goldfish in a larger tank would whole heartedly disagree that 20 is enough.

Stocking is more art than science.

Olympia 07-02-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1138099)

This.

We have a lot of trusted members on here that will all advise on stocking in different areas, salt, fresh, cichlids, etc. There are VERY few people that can give good advice on all these categories. Cichlids are very confusing fish (to me). All I know is South American and African need to be kept apart. That's why we have cichlid people like Taz advising on those, and salt water people like Reefing Madness advising on salt.
It would take years and years of keeping hundreds of species before you could be considered good enough to advise on any type of fish.

Bacon Is Good 07-02-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1138099)
That's one of the problems with the stocking advice people so freely hand out. Unless you have actually kept a fish in a variety of situations, you just don't know. I say a variety of situations because someone who has only kept a particular fish in one tank size with one set of tank mates will have a limited understanding of the fish. People say goldfish need 20 gallons all the time, and someone who's only kept their goldfish in a 20 would obviously agree with that, but anyone who has kept a goldfish in a larger tank would whole heartedly disagree that 20 is enough.

Although this is true I am picking what I think will be the best amd making it look fabulos. So if someone gives me free will it will look fabulos but if someone already has fish in the tank or wants certain fish I can still add good color and will not have the fish to sign treaties for it to be peaceful.

Bacon Is Good 07-02-2012 08:18 PM

You need at least 5 Auratus in a group with 1 male and 4 female, although I would suggest even 5 female

If you want to keep more than 1 Demasoni you should get 1 male and 9 females although 11 females is ideal. With all chichlids the tank should be overstocked to avoid aggersion but sepiecally this fish.

With both I would not recomend more then 1 male of each species.

~Bacon Is Good 8-)

Bacon Is Good 07-02-2012 08:21 PM

Both of these fish are from Lake Malawi in Africa.

Tazman 07-02-2012 09:13 PM

Tank size and filtration are both no good for keeping Africans as tanks should be at minimum a 55g tank for adults, frys are ok in smaller tanks. The filtration should be about 10-15 times the tank volume but other than that, correct on the ratios although I would potentially keep a male auratus with 7-8 female depending on how aggressive it was.

:thumbsup: