Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help! Fish Dying! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-fish-dying-106133/)

DanielaMarie 07-03-2012 08:28 PM

Help! Fish Dying!

3 Attachment(s)
Over the past three days all 10 of my fish have died (5 neon tetras and 5 panda cories). I have a 10 gallon tank with:
fluorescent lighting
Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter
Aqueon Pro 50 heater
2 thermometers
gravel
10 plants I got at PetCo
2 ornaments
I just tested my water and it showed pH at 7.6, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, and nitrate 5 ppm.Attachment 58682

Attachment 58683

Attachment 58684

DanielaMarie 07-03-2012 08:32 PM

The temperature is at a constant 77 F.

Byron 07-04-2012 02:19 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Well, this is sad news, but hopefully we can figure out the problem. Some more data will help.

How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had the different fish (neons and corys)?

How often do you do a partial water change, and how much water is changed? Which dechlorinator do you use (and you did use it last time)?
When do you clean/rinse the filters, and how?

Are any other substances aside from the conditioner being added to the tank, or have been previously?

Were there any different behaviours from the fish recently? Anything odd you noticed?
Was respiration (breathing) faster than usual?

How often do you feed, and what type of foods?

What is the pH of the tap water by comparison to the 7.6 of the tank?

Byron.

DanielaMarie 07-04-2012 06:14 PM

How long has the tank been set up? It's been set up for about 8 weeks.
How long have you had the different fish (neons and corys)? I'd had the tetras for two weeks and the cories a little less than a week.

How often do you do a partial water change, and how much water is changed? I do a 30% water change once a week.
Which dechlorinator do you use (and you did use it last time)? I add the Aqueon Water Conditioner every time I do a water change.
When do you clean/rinse the filters, and how? I wash off anything stuck to the filter cartridge under tap water each week.

Are any other substances aside from the conditioner being added to the tank, or have been previously? I had placed API Root Tabs under the gravel to give the plants some extra nutrients when I initially set up the tank as well as Seachem Stability to kick start the cycle.

Were there any different behaviours from the fish recently? Anything odd you noticed? Was respiration (breathing) faster than usual? The only odd thing I noticed was quickened respiration starting the day of, after which I did a 50% water change.

How often do you feed, and what type of foods? I feed them twice a day, varying between API Bottom Feeder sinking pellets, API Mini Tropical small community fish pellets, and Aqueon Tropical Flakes, with Omega One Freeze Dried Bloodworms on Saturdays.

What is the pH of the tap water by comparison to the 7.6 of the tank? The API Freshwater Master Test Kit I have showed a pH of 7.2 for pure tap water.

Byron 07-04-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

How long has the tank been set up? It's been set up for about 8 weeks.
How long have you had the different fish (neons and corys)? I'd had the tetras for two weeks and the cories a little less than a week.

How often do you do a partial water change, and how much water is changed? I do a 30% water change once a week.
Which dechlorinator do you use (and you did use it last time)? I add the Aqueon Water Conditioner every time I do a water change.
When do you clean/rinse the filters, and how? I wash off anything stuck to the filter cartridge under tap water each week.

This will kill any bacteria on the cartridge; but with live plants this is less of an issue. I clean my filters under the tap always, with my well-planted tanks. But it is safer especially with newer tanks, to use some tank water.

Quote:

Are any other substances aside from the conditioner being added to the tank, or have been previously? I had placed API Root Tabs under the gravel to give the plants some extra nutrients when I initially set up the tank as well as Seachem Stability to kick start the cycle.

Were there any different behaviours from the fish recently? Anything odd you noticed? Was respiration (breathing) faster than usual? The only odd thing I noticed was quickened respiration starting the day of, after which I did a 50% water change.

This is relevant. It suggests something changed with the water. Some possibiles are a significant change in pH from tap to tank, insufficient dechlorinator, a rise in ammonia [coupled with the filter issue, could be], or some toxin in the water. I can't assess these, only suggest them as possibles.

Quote:

How often do you feed, and what type of foods? I feed them twice a day, varying between API Bottom Feeder sinking pellets, API Mini Tropical small community fish pellets, and Aqueon Tropical Flakes, with Omega One Freeze Dried Bloodworms on Saturdays.

What is the pH of the tap water by comparison to the 7.6 of the tank? The API Freshwater Master Test Kit I have showed a pH of 7.2 for pure tap water.[/
This relates back to the issue above of a change in pH with the water change. Have you tested the pH in the tank frequently enough to have an idea of the stability (or lack thereof)? When testing the tap water though, place some water in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake it briskly for a few minutes to gas out the CO2, then test for pH. You may find it higher and closer to the tank (I'm hoping so).