Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi, very new newbie x (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-very-new-newbie-x-106067/)

sammyc 07-03-2012 09:04 AM

Hi, very new newbie x

Just wanted to say hi to you all. Im new to this and very new to keeping fish so will probably need lots of help and support. I will probably also ask stupid questions but how else will i learn :-) Please be nice to me hahaha. Its good to be here though x x
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 07-03-2012 06:04 PM

A question is never stupid :-)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

sammyc 07-03-2012 06:11 PM

:-D You obviously dont know me, i need a dummies guide haha. Thank you for welcoming me x
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 07-03-2012 08:00 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

We all started just where you are now. Like Tazman said, there are no silly question so ask away.

What size tank are you thinking of starting with? What type of fish?

Tazman 07-03-2012 09:34 PM

OK, tank size is a good place to start...what fish you intend on keeping.

What equipment have you for the tank, filter, airstones, etc?

You will need to purchase a test kit to allow you to test your water for certain things. Look into the API Master Freshwater as well as a test kit for General Hardness...avoid the test strips they give inaccurate results.

Before stocking the tank with fish, the tank will need to cycle..cycling is the process needed to create "good bacteria" to remove bad things from your water. This should ideally be done before the fish are added. You can read an article on it here.

At the top of the page, you will see a link to fish profiles on the blue navigation bar..while the tank is cycling which can take 6-8 weeks, you can read up on what fish you intend on getting. Cycling a tank using fish is generally not a good idea as it can shorten the life of the fish and exposes them to certain things, Ammonia and Nitrite which in the high levels created when cycling a tank are extremely bad for their health.

Please ask as many questions as you want, our members are here to help in anyway they can, no matter how stupid you think the question is, ask it anyway. We want you to have a trouble free tank with healthy fish you can enjoy for years to come. Not to waste money on fish as they keep dying.

The information to someone who has never really kept fish before is very overwhelming but actually not all that complicated.

We look forward to helping you create a tank of your dreams (within your budget) and helping you on your journey into fishkeeping.

sammyc 07-04-2012 12:37 AM

I was thrown at the deep-end, so to speak. I was given fish as a gift (without a tank) and the words "dont worry i know how to look after fish, so dont worry about it" but further into the story i realise he knows probably less than me. So anyway i bought a 2ft Jewel tank off a site (which needed scrubbing as it was filthy). I managed to pick up a "thingy" im guessing its a filter and a pump- it blows bubbles and contains a sponge and stones. I also picked up some gravel, a mini ruin, some fake plants and tropical fishfood. This is my set up so far..... Tank, The "Thingy" and Gravel. I got my 5 year old daughter to paint a background on some paper using watery dark and light greens and blues. I stuck this on the outside of the tank- looks really cool. Then in went my fish. 2 red wagtail, 2 serpia tetra, a plec, a rainbow shark and an albino rainbow shark (i apologise if i have any of the names wrong). My sharkies have ended up being like my little babies. But due to lack of knowledge and funding i knew something would go wrong. Whitespot! A single spot on both tetra and the next minute they didnt look like they would make it through the night. Im halfway the the medicating process with Protozin and they seem to be back to their perky selves almost. Sorry for the essay, but thats whats happened so far and i know there is probably more to come. But on a lighter note, i love them so much, theyre so fascinating to watch x
Posted via Mobile Device

Varkolak 07-04-2012 04:21 AM

Looks like you made the common mistake of not cycling your tank properly, your ammonia-nitrite-nitrate is trying to cycle and because you don't have the bacteria to handle it your fish are taking a beating. The stress from the extreme ammonia spikes is stressing the weakest fish first and causing an ich outback from what you said. Np matter what action you do you will need to do plenty of large water changes to give your fish a fighting chance. If you can borrow some aged dirty filter media from a friend and put it in your tank you will be able to speed the process up and hopefully save most of your fish but expect a few casualties. Post pet stores sell a "bio-boost" product that is supposed to contain all the good bacteria you need but using those products is just a band aid and will cause the tank to re cycle itself yet again from scratch after a few days/weeks. If your willing to invest more into you tank look into some live plants, they can absorb the ammonia straight from the fish and completely skip the cycling process but the downside to plants is light requirement. anacharis and hornwort are very common plants with low light requirements that absorb a lot of ammonia and are relatively cheap. Buying a couple good handfuls could do a world of difference to your fish.