Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Ramshorns eating baby pond snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/ramshorns-eating-baby-pond-snails-105969/)

Laki 07-02-2012 12:20 PM

Ramshorns eating baby pond snails?

According to this site :Ramshorn Snails eat other snails and eggs.. Could this be why I have a thousand egg sacs and never see any baby snails?:shock:
Also, can they eat apple? I want to put my apple core in there.

Termato 07-02-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laki (Post 1138282)
According to this site :Ramshorn Snails eat other snails and eggs.. Could this be why I have a thousand egg sacs and never see any baby snails?:shock:
Also, can they eat apple? I want to put my apple core in there.

I can see how its possible but I can't agree with this because I have both Bladder and Ramshorn Snails completely covering all four of my tanks. I have found plenty of eggs sacks on many of my leaves and I still keep seeing babies. Honestly, I wish they would eat some of those eggs haha. Than again it could totally be possible though....never know...hmm...

Could it be your fish? What kind of fish do you keep in there?

How big are your Ramshorn Snails?

Do you have live plants?

Laki 07-02-2012 12:35 PM

Well, no this is just a small breeder tank. There are full grown ramshorns in there and a couple adult pond snails. So it's just the snails in there, I siphon out poop and dirty water every 2 days and add more water.
The only live plant in the tank is marimo moss (used to be a ball) and that's anchored to driftwood which is absolutely covered in eggs.
I answered my own question, within 5 minutes of putting an apple core in there I have snails on it! :)
I'm just wondering why I cannot grow out the baby snails. I see them on the driftwood, there are some hatched and there's PLENTY of food but they're not growing up!!

Termato 07-02-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laki (Post 1138297)
Well, no this is just a small breeder tank. There are full grown ramshorns in there and a couple adult pond snails. So it's just the snails in there, I siphon out poop and dirty water every 2 days and add more water.
The only live plant in the tank is marimo moss (used to be a ball) and that's anchored to driftwood which is absolutely covered in eggs.
I answered my own question, within 5 minutes of putting an apple core in there I have snails on it! :)
I'm just wondering why I cannot grow out the baby snails. I see them on the driftwood, there are some hatched and there's PLENTY of food but they're not growing up!!

Try feeding them regularly like that, how often do you usually feed them? They also like Algae Waffers, cucumbers, zuchini, and much more stuff.

That will help them grow! :D