Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   tap water query (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/tap-water-query-10591/)

bobo 01-04-2008 04:06 AM

tap water query

my tank will be a FOWLR but since i`m getting clownfish i want to get maybe just one bubble-tip anemone.

Do you think tap water will bother that single anemone?

bettababy 01-04-2008 04:55 AM

Yes!

caferacermike 01-04-2008 05:23 PM

Anemones are difficult enough to keep alive in a well suited reef. I'd have to ask if you'd also plan on adding at least one halide to keep the anemone alive?

The weird thing about anemones is that new ones are hard as heck to keep alive but once established or "cloned" can seem to survive in conditions never imagined. I've seen to many die in captivity to safely say that tap water would not affect them.

bobo 01-05-2008 05:12 AM

I have Halide lighting already purchased for my saltwater tank . The LFS said it was a necessity for coral etc so i got it already. Assuming my tank is established i was planning to just try with a small anemone to start off in my tank. The LFS uses tapwater and all his coral is great and doing fine. So i`m either wrong about what hes using or i wont have a problem with the water?

my tank and equipment has been purchased - now i`m only waiting for my shipment of LR and i`m ready to go :)

caferacermike 01-05-2008 05:24 PM

But keep in mind that his "business" is keeping fish. My business is pipe fitting, it occupies 10-12 hours of my day, not even including travel time, a day. I'll bet I can hang a stick of 10"SCH40 better than he can any day. You ask "Is CRM carzy? He doesn't make any sense at all." I want you to think about how you "maintain" your tanks as opposed to your "In Business" friend. See I don't have 8-10 hours a day to do water changes, add supplements, clean filters, etc... like he does. It's his business to have his tanks sparkling clean and show worthy. Chances are he does water changes daily or every other day. He may even have equipment running on his tanks that you don't know much about. The point is that all day long he has the opportunity to focus on the tanks in the shop, probably has hired a few people to assist him as well. So after a long day at work, then you find out you are going to some family gathering this weekend, oh and wait you got sick for how many days? See life can get in the way of the hobbyist being able to stay on top of their tank every single day. The advice given by BB and myself are meant for everyday people like you. The advice is doled out with the idea that you are not only getting helped today, but it will still hold true several months from now. I hope that makes sense.

How many LFS have you been to? They can vary so much store to store that you could walk into a different one and think to yourself "oh man I'm never going back to my old shop". You might visit another shop that does use better equipment, better water etc.. and realize that maybe your shop could step it up another level.

bobo 01-05-2008 06:48 PM

the sad and painful truth is that i only found ONE and only ONE saltwater LFS.

i`m looking around in nearby areas but Cyprus (the island) is a small place and so its near impossible to find more saltwater fish stores. I plan to keep looking though in nearby cities!

ziggy222 01-20-2008 11:16 PM

its up to each hobbiest to decide whether to use tap water,and tap water is different everywhere.my tap water has a tds of 534 ppm which is supposed to not be safe to drink.however i've been using it for a yr with no problem.see,it does'nt say what the total dissolved solids are.it could be calcium in your water for all you know.my tank is doing awsome on tap water but that does'nt mean yours will.every time you top of with tap water you may be adding more toxins that will eventually build up till it kills your corals.theres no way to tell until you use it.i would'nt worry about using tap for the 1st fill up on your tank though cause usually the toxins don't build up untill you use bad tap water for some time.