Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Learning tank conversion the hardway. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/learning-tank-conversion-hardway-105855/)

nawilson89 07-01-2012 01:43 PM

Learning tank conversion the hardway.

Hey everyone!

So yesterday I decided to upgrade my 45 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank that would fit my apartment a bit better (the 45 gallon tank was wider and short where the 55 is long and a bit taller). I started by taking water from my 45 gallon tank and adding it to my 55 gallon and also letting the filter media float in the tank for all the good bacteria to flow. Then I removed all my fish and put them into containers and buckets while I did the conversion.

I then took the play sand I purchased from Home Depot which i though i had rinsed very well and put it into the 55 gallon and then added my old substrate sand and plant substrate mix into it as well. The water was pretty cloudy but i trudged on. Put the 55 gallon up on my stand and also mixed in more water from the old 45. I then put the plants in to float as to add more bacteria into the water.

As I finished up I realized that one of my Otocinclus had hitched a ride on a plant and was swimming well inside the tank, which was still murky. My two 50 gallon filters were running nicely and I waited a few hours before I added the rest of my fish.

The water was still murky though so I decided to let it sit over night.

Today I came out to a slightly cloudy tank which was normal since it would be classified as "new". Did a headcount, everyone was accounted for. I decided to clean my filter media in a bucket of old tank water that was sitting over night and as I took the filter media out, a rushing cloud of murk came out overwhelming my tank.

nawilson89 07-01-2012 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got a pic of the tank. I'm not to happy with myself. I've done conversions before and never had an issue.

It was a bit worse before, but it's calmed down a bit. Think ill be cleaning the filters daily til the problem goes away. Though I'm not sure if that's the right step to take.

Byron 07-01-2012 02:41 PM

Nothing wrong, just give it time to settle. I have set up dozens of new tanks and reset existing tanks with new substrate, and cloudiness is normal for a couple days to a few weeks. Not an issue for the fish.:-)

Byron.

nawilson89 07-01-2012 03:02 PM

xD awesome! so i feel less bad.

Thanks Byron everytime i read one of your posts I take notes!

AbbeysDad 07-02-2012 09:36 AM

As usual, Byron is correct. We tend to over-react to cloudy water. Some time ago I was watching some video of the Amazon river - now there was some murky water!
You might want to readjust how you clean your filter(s) and patience without over reaction will eventually result in crystal clear water. :-)

nawilson89 07-03-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1138020)
As usual, Byron is correct. We tend to over-react to cloudy water. Some time ago I was watching some video of the Amazon river - now there was some murky water!
You might want to readjust how you clean your filter(s) and patience without over reaction will eventually result in crystal clear water. :-)

Yeah, its crystal now! Which makes me happy :-)! Haven't touched the filters since that first time. Going back to my 2 week schedule now.

Byron 07-03-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1139687)
Yeah, its crystal now! Which makes me happy :-)! Haven't touched the filters since that first time. Going back to my 2 week schedule now.

There you are.:-D

The 2-week schedule i assume is for rinsing the filters? A partial water change should be every week. You can rinse filter media as needed, but weekly at the pwc won't hurt.