Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   All my guppies died at once, and now the others look bad too.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/all-my-guppies-died-once-now-105738/)

Sairy30 06-30-2012 08:42 AM

All my guppies died at once, and now the others look bad too....

1. Size of tank?
29 Gallon

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?
Don't know, am going to get a test kit today.

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
Freshwater

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
2 months

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
5 Fancy guppies (had) 2 Rasbora (1 living) 1 albino catfish 1 betta 6 Neons 1 bristlenose plecos and 1 Bleeding Heart 1 Rainbow Tetra 1 White finny type tetra
1 Purple Mystery Snail

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? i upgraded from a ten gallon to a 29 gallon and my betta swam in it for a week before I added the rest.

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
Some live, some Silk

b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
Gravel Bottom

c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
Large fake wood stump

9. a. Filtration?
Aquaclear 20-40

b. Heater?
Yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
Only LED lights

b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
Some very indirect for maybe an hour or so a day

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
Water changed every few weeks, 50%. Vacuum gravel with changes.

12. Foods?
How often are they fed? Tetra Min flakes and Blood worms for Betta and Algae Wafers for Plecos. They are fed twice a day small amounts. The Algae wafers one every other day, the blood worms just here and there.

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
One rasbora developed a red spot on the end of his tail. I thought that he had been injured, but then he lost his body color and died.
Then today, all of my guppies died.. pretty much at once. Now my rainbow tetra is looking pale... and the catfish is staring at me with accusing red eyes. :(.

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?
I used a tea tree oil melaluca antibacterial.

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary

Fish
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/o...inbowtetra.jpg

Tank with decoration removed.
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/o...iry30/tank.jpg

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

fish monger 06-30-2012 09:13 AM

I'd do a 50% water change right away, never hurts. Kind of surprised the guppies went first. Were they new ? When you're getting your test kit, you might think about some floating plants. My knee jerk reaction is to say this is an ammonia problem. The floating plants will help with that. Also suggest weekly water changes of around 30%. Good luck !

Sairy30 06-30-2012 06:57 PM

Well I had just done a water change a week ago, and all of the fish are the same ones I've had for six months. In fact the guppies were babies that I raised :(. I was surprised as they are typically pretty hardy. (I thought) I will get some floating plants and I will do water change. Was hesitant to as I didn't want to traumatize the remainders if they are doomed anyway. Lost my rainbow today and the other rasbora. :( I get so attached to them. I got this tank going as a hobby for my elderly father and I and it is has been really fun so far....

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bacon Is Good 06-30-2012 07:34 PM

[quote=fish monger;. Kind of surprised the guppies went first. Were they new ? When you're getting your test kit, you might think about some floating plants. My knee jerk reaction is to say this is an ammonia problem.

Sorry for your loss.:cry:

I agree with fish monger. Do a water change right away and put in some water conditioner.

Sairy30 06-30-2012 11:25 PM

Well I took water sample to Petco and they said my PH was way off and that I had done too many water changes and the nitrates were out of whack. My father has a tendency to overfeed them, so the water gets murky quickly and I change it a lot. I think I took all the good bacteria out of the water. The Petco guy said they will probably all die before it cycles back to normal... so I asked him if I could have a bag of their sump water to try to introduce new ecology. Will see if this works. Best hope is for the Betta? Thanks again for your input. HOpe this helps some of them. No new deaths today aside from the two this morning.

marshallsea 07-01-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairy30 (Post 1136275)
Well I took water sample to Petco and they said my PH was way off and that I had done too many water changes and the nitrates were out of whack. My father has a tendency to overfeed them, so the water gets murky quickly and I change it a lot. I think I took all the good bacteria out of the water. The Petco guy said they will probably all die before it cycles back to normal... so I asked him if I could have a bag of their sump water to try to introduce new ecology. Will see if this works. Best hope is for the Betta? Thanks again for your input. HOpe this helps some of them. No new deaths today aside from the two this morning.

What does way off and out of whack mean ? Did they give you numbers?Did they test ammonia?Bacteria does not live in the water, it lives on the surface of everything.Water changes do nothing but good. This employee obviously has no idea what they are talking about.You need to invest in a liquid test kit.Overfeeding can cause ammonia.Their sump water will do nothing, you either have good bacteria or you dont.A test kit will tell if your tank is cycled. Meanwhile do water changes.I dont think youre doing enough water changes.

marshallsea 07-01-2012 12:45 AM

Meds are very hard on fish, only use them if youre sure what youre treating.

Sairy30 07-02-2012 05:38 AM

He didn't give me numbers but used a test kit...I didn't ask for them either though as I didn't really know what I was asking for, he said nitrates are really high.. I did add their water , I gravel vacuum and do water changes about once a week, so I was thinking I am doing them too often, or taking out too much water at a time. (about 50% regularly) maybe though not enough. It was going along fine for a long time, then a sudden change and all the deaths. Today I didn't lose any, and they don't seem as "stressed" as they were... but I think I will lose another of the big tetras, and they are not eating much. I am a bit of a neophyte obviously. I will get a test kit and keep testing myself.. I doubt the Petco employees have anything beyond basic training and probably high turnover, so yea, he probably didn't know what he was talking about. Thanks for the advice and input! I will keep coming back here to learn more :)

marshallsea 07-02-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairy30 (Post 1137917)
He didn't give me numbers but used a test kit...I didn't ask for them either though as I didn't really know what I was asking for, he said nitrates are really high.. I did add their water , I gravel vacuum and do water changes about once a week, so I was thinking I am doing them too often, or taking out too much water at a time. (about 50% regularly) maybe though not enough. It was going along fine for a long time, then a sudden change and all the deaths. Today I didn't lose any, and they don't seem as "stressed" as they were... but I think I will lose another of the big tetras, and they are not eating much. I am a bit of a neophyte obviously. I will get a test kit and keep testing myself.. I doubt the Petco employees have anything beyond basic training and probably high turnover, so yea, he probably didn't know what he was talking about. Thanks for the advice and input! I will keep coming back here to learn more :)

In a 2 month old tank water changes are very important as toxins can build up quickly. A liquid test kit is a must. Test strips are very inaccurate. At the first sign of abnormal activity or sickness a 50% water change is always your first line of defense. IMO in a young tank, you should change water at least 2, even 3 times a week until your water stabilizes. Good luck.

Tazman 07-02-2012 08:42 AM

NEVER EVER use water supplied from a fish store. The chances of getting a disease in your tank are increased tremendously. Many fish stores use a central filtration system which means a single usually but not always massive wet/ dry filter attached to a whole host of tanks.

If you get the API Master liquid test kit. It is extremely important when using the NITRATE test to shake bottle #2 for 2 minutes prior to adding it to the test tube and then shaking that for a full minute. The liquid is prone to separating and settling on the bottom of the bottle. Shaking for 2 minutes ensures it is mixed properly prior to adding it to the test tube.

As others have mentioned perform a water change and once you get the test kit post the numbers so we can see what is going on in your tank. It would also help to get a test kit for General Hardness and KH (Carbonate Hardness) as this will determine whether or not your water is suitable for the fish you have.

When you do maintenance do you clean the filter at all?