Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Anubias leaf color (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anubias-leaf-color-105714/)

marshallsea 06-29-2012 09:41 PM

Anubias leaf color

I have a 20g tall with 3 platys. Its 9 weeks old and just started to cycle, not sure why it took so long. It has a small florescent bulb(about 4'') purchased in the fish section. I fertilize with Aqueon plant food half doses 2 times a week. They have been in for about a month. The leaves are a lighter green than when I bought them, and some have yellow around the edges. One has a yellow spot in the middle. There are 3 separate plants bought at different times and they all appear the same. They are in partial shade. They seem to be growing. What can i do to regain dark green leaves?

Boredomb 06-29-2012 10:24 PM

Hmmm try full shade. These plants do not like light and do best in shade. Also I am not to sure about the fertilizer you are using? Are these the only plants you have? If not do the other plants show any issues?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 06-30-2012 11:41 AM

I'd like to know more about this light. Is is a fluorescent tube, or a screw-in bulb? And what wattage and Kelvin? While Anubias is a shade plant, it still needs some light, not sure if this is part of the issue or not.

The Aqueon fertilizer I have not used, but from the ingredients[listed here Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart ] I would assume it is OK.

Are there other plants, and if so, which and how are they doing?

Any chance of a photo of the Anubias?

Byron.

marshallsea 06-30-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1135629)
I'd like to know more about this light. Is is a fluorescent tube, or a screw-in bulb? And what wattage and Kelvin? While Anubias is a shade plant, it still needs some light, not sure if this is part of the issue or not.

The Aqueon fertilizer I have not used, but from the ingredients[listed here Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart ] I would assume it is OK.

Are there other plants, and if so, which and how are they doing?

Any chance of a photo of the Anubias?

Byron.

Bryon, just the man I wanted to chat with. This bulb doesnt have much info on it. Its a short screw in florescent 10w. Dont know the kelvins. Its 80mA, 600 lumens. I bought it in fish section at walmart in response to your advise some time ago. Sorry no pics. No other plants. Maybe the tank is too deep and big for 1 bulb? Is it true that air bubblers can remove c02?

Byron 06-30-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1135655)
Bryon, just the man I wanted to chat with. This bulb doesnt have much info on it. Its a short screw in florescent 10w. Dont know the kelvins. Its 80mA, 600 lumens. I bought it in fish section at walmart in response to your advise some time ago. Sorry no pics. No other plants. Maybe the tank is too deep and big for 1 bulb? Is it true that air bubblers can remove c02?

Don't know anything about the bulb, but if it is a Compact Fluorescent, outputting 600 lumens, that is not too bad. I use two 10w GE Daylight CFL bulbs over my 20g, and they output 490 lumens each. Can you use two bulbs, or just one in your fixture?

I wouldn't think the light is the issue here. And the fert is not bad, though some nutrients are missing. What is your GH and pH? Is the rhizome buried in the substrate?

Byron.

marshallsea 06-30-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1135686)
Don't know anything about the bulb, but if it is a Compact Fluorescent, outputting 600 lumens, that is not too bad. I use two 10w GE Daylight CFL bulbs over my 20g, and they output 490 lumens each. Can you use two bulbs, or just one in your fixture?

I wouldn't think the light is the issue here. And the fert is not bad, though some nutrients are missing. What is your GH and pH? Is the rhizome buried in the substrate?

Byron.

It is a compact florescent and there is a second socket. gh-18dgh, ph-7.5. Rhizome and roots above substrate.

Byron 06-30-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1135693)
It is a compact florescent and there is a second socket. gh-18dgh, ph-7.5. Rhizome and roots above substrate.

Nothing is standing out obviously as an issue. Is there a reason for using the fert in half doses? I would use it as directed. Wouldn't think this an issue, but...

And I would use two 10w bulbs. Don't know the make you have, but the GE Daylight CFL 10w might be less expensive. I've had good plant growth under two of these over my 20g.

A photo would maybe help. Reading your initial post again, this does sound like a nutrient issue. Are these just the original leaves, or new growth too?

marshallsea 06-30-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1135750)
Nothing is standing out obviously as an issue. Is there a reason for using the fert in half doses? I would use it as directed. Wouldn't think this an issue, but...

And I would use two 10w bulbs. Don't know the make you have, but the GE Daylight CFL 10w might be less expensive. I've had good plant growth under two of these over my 20g.

A photo would maybe help. Reading your initial post again, this does sound like a nutrient issue. Are these just the original leaves, or new growth too?

I fert in half doses but double the frequency. Will do on two bulbs. I believe these are original leaves. I have pinched some of the worse leaves off in the recent past. The stems are growing longer , just the leaves have lost the deep green.

Byron 06-30-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1135912)
I fert in half doses but double the frequency. Will do on two bulbs. I believe these are original leaves. I have pinched some of the worse leaves off in the recent past. The stems are growing longer , just the leaves have lost the deep green.

Can't suggest much else at this stage. Keep us apprised of progress.

marshallsea 06-30-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1136045)
Can't suggest much else at this stage. Keep us apprised of progress.

Thank you.