Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   How long to Seperate a Pregnent Molly?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/how-long-seperate-pregnent-molly-105639/)

brentremble 06-29-2012 08:21 AM

How long to Seperate a Pregnent Molly??

Hi guys just looking for a bit of help with my Ballon Molly,
I bought 2 a few weeks ago and turned out it was a male and female, within a week i noticed the female was pregnant, as i found out i would have been luck to buy a molly that was not pregnent.
The last week i noticed she has got a lot bigger and also she is seperating herself from the rest of the fish so i put her into a breeding cage 2 days ago but no sign yet.

If nothing happens after a few days, how long should i leave her in before it starts to distress her from being in a small confinement??

any idea's would be helpfull.

Chesh 06-29-2012 03:24 PM

I've found that mollies don't like ANY sort of confinement - she'll be stressed from it regardless of how long you have her in there, and the stress could cause her to abort her pregnancy. There are many different ways to do this - personally, I'd recommend dividing the tank, if that is at all possible. Once the fry are born, you can scoop THEM into the breeder basket, and remove the tank divider.

In my experience, my molly had her fry in the main tank with daddy right there. A couple of them got eaten, but I ended up saving 28 or so. I did have plants in the tank, though, so the fry could hide. . .

Good luck!

brentremble 06-30-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1134563)
I've found that mollies don't like ANY sort of confinement - she'll be stressed from it regardless of how long you have her in there, and the stress could cause her to abort her pregnancy. There are many different ways to do this - personally, I'd recommend dividing the tank, if that is at all possible. Once the fry are born, you can scoop THEM into the breeder basket, and remove the tank divider.

In my experience, my molly had her fry in the main tank with daddy right there. A couple of them got eaten, but I ended up saving 28 or so. I did have plants in the tank, though, so the fry could hide. . .

Good luck!

I was thinking about doing that at leaving her in the main tank as its only a 40L tank so seperating it is not going to be really to easy, but the main thing i am conscious about it the other fish, especially the 2 angle and fighting fish, I have them on a diet of flakes and Live shrimp, every time i put the shrimp in they go crazy for them so i can imagine the fry would even have a chance to make it to the plants for cover.

Most of the time in the separation tank she is very claim and just sits their as she was for the few days before anyways, 2day she is starting to get a bit frigidity, and also my be my imagination but i think she has got quite a bit bigger the last few days, if she does not give birth soon this is fry is going to be a big group.

Chesh 07-01-2012 02:34 PM

Let us know how it goes - good luck!