Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Betta dying of old age (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/betta-dying-old-age-1056/)

Tracy 10-24-2006 09:26 PM

Betta dying of old age

This is just heartbreaking. My lovely blue betta, which I have had for exactly 3 years and 5 months, is obviously dying. He is lethargic, just resting on the silk plant in his 2 gallon tank, and doesn't seem to have the strength to eat. I don't want to watch him starve to death. What should I do? How can I euthanize him (aside from the horrible chopping his head off method?) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lupin 10-24-2006 09:31 PM

Sorry to hear that, Tracy.:blueworry: Cheer up. It can happen. Clove oil can be used to put him to sleep.:blueworry:

I know how you feel. My oldest ram isn't getting any better now. Seems he has reach old age too even if he has reach almost a year. Rams will never last for a year or two.:cry: If I lose him, I will be more than distraught by this because he happens to be the only fish I've been keeping an eye for when I had columnaris outbreak.:blueworry:

Hope your betta will finally rest rather than struggling in pain to survive.

crazie.eddie 10-24-2006 09:38 PM

Sorry to hear. One of my larger angelfish is also not doing well. I did QT it in case of any bacterial or parasitic infections, but I would have to assume that it is also getting old. I had it for over 10 years already, since it was very young.

Tracy 10-24-2006 09:45 PM

Wow, 10 years for your angel? What a void that is going to leave :( We do get so attached, don't we?

And Blue, sorry for your ram fish :( I have seen the photos of the bolivian rams on this site and they are just stunning. It is unfortunate that their life span is so short.

Having said that, how much clove oil do I add to 2 gallons (and where do i get some?)

My betta, his name is Ice (also known as Mr. Grumpy gills), had sooo much character -- all I had to do was go near his tank and he would puff out, I swear he would have come through the glass to bite me if he could have :P ; he always had such a nasty temper. This is one fish that won't be flushed; i will bury him. i have had him too long to just flush him down the toilet :cry:

Lupin 10-24-2006 09:54 PM

Hi Tracy.:wave:

It was actually my blue ram which you frequently see in my threads. Sad thing that he doesn't seem to eat well. I understand he is encrouching to old age.:cry:

No fish will ever be flushed. It can be disastrous as some fish carry pathogens which will infect the waterways. The best thing is to bury the fish.

Hope you have the courage to euthanize him.:)

Tracy 10-24-2006 10:04 PM

Thank you Blue. I am looking for the thread about euthanasia and can't find it (the method with the clove oil). Please help.

Lupin 10-24-2006 10:08 PM

Hi Tracy.:wave:

Here.
It was just stickied here.:mrgreen:

Good luck.:D I'm rooting for you to gather courage before he is gone.:)

Tracy 10-24-2006 10:12 PM

thank you Blue, I have it now. where do I get clove oil?

Lupin 10-24-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy
thank you Blue, I have it now. where do I get clove oil?

Your local pharmacies and chemists should have them.:)

Tracy 10-24-2006 11:21 PM

thank you; I got it, and a tiny bottle of vodka. I think I need someone to hold my hand through this :(