Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Transporting fish from fish store (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/transporting-fish-fish-store-10557/)

ShawnMcc 01-03-2008 01:22 AM

Transporting fish from fish store

I was wonder what I should put my fish in when I buy it from the fish store. Cuase were I live it is below zero and to make things worse I have to take a bus. So should I use styrofoam box of some kind any thing else should I put in it or around it to transport for 2 or more hours.

JouteiMike 01-03-2008 09:57 AM

Maybe wrap it up in a thermal blanket of some sort.

Unrulyevil 01-03-2008 10:03 AM

Ok... here is what you do. You open up your jacket put the bag with the fish under ur warm jacket and zip it up. It worked in -20F for me.

Falina 01-03-2008 10:03 AM

Wrap it in a blanket and keep the bag inside your jacket?

Mirta 01-03-2008 11:45 AM

I always put the bag inside the jacket/fur coat. In fact I want to buy some fish tomorrow. It is -9 and the car is broken. It is a 15 min walk. The last time I did it the fish were fine. Maybe I'll ask for extra bags and take a warm scarf to wrap them in.

coley 01-03-2008 05:29 PM

I have an Igloo cooler that I use with a towel on the bottom, but I drive, so it's not too long in the cold. You might want to try hand warmer heat packs which are available at any outdoor store.

Amphitrite 01-03-2008 05:40 PM

Some of the LFS in my area will provide a polystyrene box for putting the fish in if the weather is particularly cold. You should phone ahead and ask if they will provide you with one.

Last time I used public transport to take fish home I used one of these, and wrapped newspaper around the bag of fish inside to help maintain the temperature.

Mirta 01-04-2008 11:33 AM

Brrr!!! It was so cold today that I didn't risk it and gave up the idea of buying fish. I'll wait a bit the weather might change. It is not only the frost but also the icy wind that makes the trip to the pet shop no fun at all. :shock:

ShawnMcc 01-04-2008 10:48 PM

Lucky I got a ride it was way to cold to carry it home on the buss for me. I bought a couple of plecos and corys. I was hoping to get some angel fish but they had none. Thank all of you for you help. Now I know what to do next time.

herefishy 01-05-2008 12:41 AM

I have had to transport fish from Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit to my home in Indiana. I used large styros and the hand, feet, and body warmers you buy at WalMart, Kmart, Lowes, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops and other places called Hot Hands. I usually buy a bunch of them when they go on sale in the spring. They work great. They also work great for ice fishing, hunting and other outdoor fun things.