Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ideas for a 5-10 gallon species only tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ideas-5-10-gallon-species-only-105556/)

PhilipPhish 06-28-2012 12:47 PM

Ideas for a 5-10 gallon species only tank

So I would like to do a species only tank in a 5 or 10 gallon tank.

I was thinking Silver Tipped tetras, but I was also wondering if any of you guys had some ideas?

I'm really looking for-
  • either lots of color, or really silvery
  • fish that swim in groups
Do you guys have any suggestions?

thanks!
~Sydnie

Olympia 06-28-2012 12:58 PM

What are your pH, gH, and kH?
That will help determine what species can be kept in your water.

PhilipPhish 06-28-2012 01:02 PM

Our city water is incredibly hard... its like perfect for live bearers, but I'm kinda tired of live bearers.

I don't know much about our water, or what any of that stuff is and how to test it.

Chesh 06-28-2012 01:19 PM

There are lots of Danio varieties that would do well in a 10g species tank - if you're looking for some SERIOUS color, you could always try GloFish - which are neon-colored Danio.

You might also want to look into White Cloud Mountain Minnows. . . I really love this fish, they're silvery AND colorful!

I'd say definitely go with a 10g, whatever you choose. . .

Unless you want to do a 5g tank with a couple of African Dwarf Frogs - they aren't colorful, silvery, OR fish, tho :) Or a betta, of course, who would be very happy in a 5g!

PhilipPhish 06-28-2012 01:27 PM

I'm also kinda leaning towards something exotic and interesting that will make people who look in the tank stop and go "Whoa, what is that!"

I kinda like the way the glo-fish look, how many would fit comfortable in a filtered, heated 10 gallon?

Varkolak 06-28-2012 02:53 PM

Not sure on the water specs for them but look into sparkling gourami

Byron 06-28-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipPhish (Post 1133070)
I'm also kinda leaning towards something exotic and interesting that will make people who look in the tank stop and go "Whoa, what is that!"

I kinda like the way the glo-fish look, how many would fit comfortable in a filtered, heated 10 gallon?

This fish is a modified zebra danio, and should have more space as noted in the profile. With hard water, options are quite limited. So many of the "dwarf" fish in the cyprinids that are becomming more widely available require soft water. Shrimp are OK of course.

Chesh 06-28-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1133410)
This fish is a modified zebra danio, and should have more space as noted in the profile. With hard water, options are quite limited. So many of the "dwarf" fish in the cyprinids that are becomming more widely available require soft water. Shrimp are OK of course.

Ahh, sorry. . . Byron's right, they are really ZOOMY fish, and would like the extra room. :|

Hmmm. . . I'll keep thinking, maybe I can come up with another idea for you!

PhilipPhish 06-28-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1133410)
This fish is a modified zebra danio, and should have more space as noted in the profile. With hard water, options are quite limited. So many of the "dwarf" fish in the cyprinids that are becoming more widely available require soft water. Shrimp are OK of course.

What kind of fish do you suggest?

I'm not exactly sure how hard our tap water is because we have a water softener that uses salt.

PhilipPhish 06-28-2012 05:54 PM

Could I make a brackish water tank in a 10 gallon?