Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Feeding how much is too much (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/feeding-how-much-too-much-105538/)

bohmert 06-28-2012 07:48 AM

Feeding how much is too much

Confused on feeding amount the amount I feed is gone in less than two minutes and I feed twice a day. I think maybe that is too little but fish look good all eat........

Geomancer 06-28-2012 08:14 AM

That's plenty.

All the food you put in should be gone in about two minutes. If it lasts longer, they're getting too much. Almost all fish will eat whatever they can whenever they can, because in the wild they never know when their next meal will come.

Fry need to be fed more often, but adult fish can do well on even just a single feeding a day, conversly they can also go a week with nothing at all and thus why vacation feeders are generally not needed.

bohmert 06-28-2012 12:36 PM

thanks

Byron 06-29-2012 11:57 AM

Yes, it is generally best to not overfeed. In most cases, a hungry fish is a healthy fish. The fish's physiology can "overwork" just as ours can the more we eat. Mature healthy fish only need one feeding a day, and missing a day or two every week is fine. Water change day is a good one to skip feeding, since fish should never be fed before any tank disturbance.

A very few fish may need food more often, but these are basically the small "dwarf" species and they can usually find additional live foods especially in a well-planted tank (another benefit of plants:-)) once it is established. And fry need more frequent feedings to ensure they receive sufficient nutrition to develop properly.

Byron.

bohmert 06-29-2012 01:49 PM

Thanks I wondered about water change days. THanks alot I appreciate your feedback alot. I am trying to find the spotted driftwood catfish. I can find info on them but no prices or people selling. They are so neat looking. thanks again

Byron 06-29-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohmert (Post 1134449)
Thanks I wondered about water change days. THanks alot I appreciate your feedback alot. I am trying to find the spotted driftwood catfish. I can find info on them but no prices or people selling. They are so neat looking. thanks again

You have read the profile, and realize what you're getting (if you get them)?:lol:

bohmert 06-29-2012 08:11 PM

yes i haveread up on them and not sure i am going to get one just trying to educate myself on my fish before i buy and regret after. But i have never found a price on one. What do the run $$wise

Byron 06-29-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohmert (Post 1134901)
yes i haveread up on them and not sure i am going to get one just trying to educate myself on my fish before i buy and regret after. But i have never found a price on one. What do the run $$wise

Varies, but where I am they are expensive. My previous comment was aimed at the fact that this is a fish you never see, ever. I have had mine for over 3 years so far, but unless i was flush with excess money I doubt I would get them again.:lol: They can be fin nippers too, something I hadn't realized until recently when some of my Hyphessobrycon began losing half their tails and it was suggested the woodcats were likely responsible.

bohmert 06-29-2012 08:26 PM

i really appreciate the heads up. That will not be a fish for me then