Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sand as Substrate for Corys and Rasboras (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sand-substrate-corys-rasboras-105500/)

eaturbyfill 06-27-2012 08:36 PM

Sand as Substrate for Corys and Rasboras

Would sand or gravel be best? I heard that sand is easier to clean, etc. and was wondering if that would work well with Harlequins and Corys. The filter I'll be using is a Tetra Whisper filter.

Pearl2011 06-27-2012 09:20 PM

I think the corys would like the sand the most, but cleaning might be more difficult without sucking sand up. I have the same filter and I think it would be fine with sand.

dramaqueen 06-27-2012 09:32 PM

Sand would be better for corries because of their delicate barbels. I believe sand needs to be stirred around every so often to keep gases from building up.

Pearl2011 06-27-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dramaqueen (Post 1132357)
Sand would be better for corries because of their delicate barbels. I believe sand needs to be stirred around every so often to keep gases from building up.

Isn't there a type of snial that does that? Malaysian trumpet snail? Cant remember now . . bah!!

AK Fresh Water 06-27-2012 10:20 PM

Sand is always better for corys.
They are built to sift through it.

Geomancer 06-28-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1132361)
Isn't there a type of snial that does that? Malaysian trumpet snail? Cant remember now . . bah!!

Yes, they live under the sand and help keep it moving.

If you are not using live plants, make sure it's no thicker than 1". If you are putting in plants with large root networks like swords and crypts, up to 2" around them is okay.

Sand is the way to go, for cleaning you just hover over the sand, you do not drive a gravel vaccum into it. Debris should stay on top, instead of working its way down into cracks like in gravel.

eaturbyfill 06-28-2012 11:06 AM

So, just to clarify and make sure I understand, I use the siphon like with gravel but stay above it to take in the debris?

Byron 06-28-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaturbyfill (Post 1132951)
So, just to clarify and make sure I understand, I use the siphon like with gravel but stay above it to take in the debris?

If you have live plants and those that root in the substrate, you don't need to vacuum the substrate. Some of my tanks never get this. The organics settle into the sand, and the Malaysian Livebearing snails help by breaking down the waste faster, and the bacteria breaks down the organics into nutrients for the plants. Plant roots release a lot of oxygen and this helps too.

Without substrate-rooted plants, keeping the top cleaner won't hurt. And for this, just hover over the sand. I use a Python device and i find that even if I suck up a bit of sand it doesn't go all the way up.

Pearl2011 06-29-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1132725)
Yes, they live under the sand and help keep it moving.

If you are not using live plants, make sure it's no thicker than 1". If you are putting in plants with large root networks like swords and crypts, up to 2" around them is okay.

Sand is the way to go, for cleaning you just hover over the sand, you do not drive a gravel vaccum into it. Debris should stay on top, instead of working its way down into cracks like in gravel.

Can you use MTS with a tank with gravel?

eaturbyfill 06-29-2012 12:02 PM

What is MTS?