Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Multiple plants from Tiger Lotus bulb? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/multiple-plants-tiger-lotus-bulb-105455/)

Chesh 06-27-2012 01:33 PM

Multiple plants from Tiger Lotus bulb?

A while back I decided to take a chance and get a Red Tiger Lotus bulb. I really love the plant, but didn't really think it would do so well in my tank. . . figured it couldn't hurt to try! Nothing happened, but the bulb was still solid, so I left it in. . . months passed, and just when I had given up hope - A SPROUT appeared! I was so excited!

A few weeks have passed, and my tiny little sprout has become a tiny little plant, it keeps plugging along. . . the whole thing is only about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. . . but now it looks as if there may be a second NEW shoot coming up beside the first. I've looked into this plant a bit, and have read that it is possible to grow several separate plants from one tiger lotus bulb.

My questions for you guys are, first - is that true? And second, if it IS true, how do I go about doing it? I don't want to separate my little plantlet too soon, or do anything else that could harm it or the bulb. . .

Here's a picture I took a few days ago, it's kind of hard to see what I'm talking about from this angle, I think, but the plant is in the back of the tank and hard to get a decent image of. . .

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...otusBulb-1.jpg

Please advise!?? :-D

Termato 06-27-2012 01:41 PM

Cutting to Clone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1131770)
A while back I decided to take a chance and get a Red Tiger Lotus bulb. I really love the plant, but didn't really think it would do so well in my tank. . . figured it couldn't hurt to try! Nothing happened, but the bulb was still solid, so I left it in. . . months passed, and just when I had given up hope - A SPROUT appeared! I was so excited!

A few weeks have passed, and my tiny little sprout has become a tiny little plant, it keeps plugging along. . . the whole thing is only about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. . . but now it looks as if there may be a second NEW shoot coming up beside the first. I've looked into this plant a bit, and have read that it is possible to grow several separate plants from one tiger lotus bulb.

My questions for you guys are, first - is that true? And second, if it IS true, how do I go about doing it? I don't want to separate my little plantlet too soon, or do anything else that could harm it or the bulb. . .

Here's a picture I took a few days ago, it's kind of hard to see what I'm talking about from this angle, I think, but the plant is in the back of the tank and hard to get a decent image of. . .

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...otusBulb-1.jpg

Please advise!?? :-D

You can do this with Anubias and any other kind of plants with bulbs or rhizomes. What you do is you have to cut the bulb/rhizome in half or where you want the new growth to start. Once the plants gets big enough you take scisors and cut it. You have to look carefully as you want to get it in a section where the bulb/rhizome is sectioned off. This way you don't harm the plant as much and it will grow back faster.

I've done this with my main anubias in the 10 gallon and its is now in 3 different tanks growing nicely. I am waiting for my other anubias to get to this point so I can spread it around as well.

I'm going to want some of ur lotus once its nice and big!

Chesh 06-27-2012 01:47 PM

You can have one if I can make this work!

I've divided rhizome plants before, but this is my first bulb. . .

So, I actually have to cut the BULB itself? Not just the plant OFF of the bulb? How big does the plant have to be before I mess with it? I really don't want to harm it - it's so CUTE! If the bulb itself gets cut. . . won't that prevent it from growing new plantlets?

I've read that, given long enough, the plant will separate itself from the bulb - but that you can speed things up by doing it yourself, as the plant will have to be pretty big before this will happen naturally. I don't know how true this information is, though - which is why I'm seeking advice here.

Termato 06-27-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1131782)
You can have one if I can make this work!

I've divided rhizome plants before, but this is my first bulb. . .

So, I actually have to cut the BULB itself? Not just the plant OFF of the bulb? How big does the plant have to be before I mess with it? I really don't want to harm it - it's so CUTE! If the bulb itself gets cut. . . won't that prevent it from growing new plantlets?

I've read that, given long enough, the plant will separate itself from the bulb - but that you can speed things up by doing it yourself, as the plant will have to be pretty big before this will happen naturally. I don't know how true this information is, though - which is why I'm seeking advice here.

Just wait an see what it looks like. It's far too small now. 8-)

If you just cut the stem it might not work, unless you are patient with it and let it develop a root system. That is risky thought and wont always work. I've found some wisteria leaves that have grown roots. The thing is if you want to assure a healthy new plant that you cut you want to cut off something that has a root system on it.

I have no idea about plants separating from bulbs or anything like that lol. I'm not that experienced.

Chesh 06-27-2012 02:40 PM

Yeah, I DO think it needs to get a little bit bigger before I do anything to it, but you can see the root system already developing on the picture. . .

I'm trying to figure out WHEN to do WHAT so that it has the best chance for survival - and the bulb has a good shot at making more gorgeous baby plants. Gosh it's CUTE! I never thought I'd call a plant cute, but it ISSSS!

Thanks for the input, Termie, as always!

jennesque 06-27-2012 04:51 PM

That's a very cute plant!! :)

I found this online:

As they grow, lilies form clumps of bulbs that are attached to each other. Gardening experts recommend pulling the bulbs apart or gently twisting to separate them. Break apart the bulb clumps, taking care to allow the roots to untangle themselves. Don't tear the roots apart. Tug little bulblets, immature lily bulbs, from the stem. Use a knife to separate lily bulbs if you can't get them apart any other way.

There should be a bulblet sticking out from the mother bulb that can just be detached. I don't think you should cut the bulb in half... I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem right to me..

Edit: that's for a lily.. I was wrong. Here's for a lotus.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFkQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.ehow.com%2Fhow_7509993_divide-lotus-water-plant.html&ei=UXPrT-_mI-Od6AH9g_jsBQ&usg=AFQjCNGGB2R2CJGzW72l_hQ-Vd9BD_x0PQ

Posted via Mobile Device

Chesh 06-27-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info, Jenn, but that link isn't working!

Boredomb 06-27-2012 10:44 PM

The tiger lilies I got have a very small bulb with some roots. So I think Jenn is right there. I wouldn't cut the main bulb but if there was some forming on the outside then with enough roots I would thing it would be safe to cut them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chesh 06-27-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1132381)
The tiger lilies I got have a very small bulb with some roots. So I think Jenn is right there. I wouldn't cut the main bulb but if there was some forming on the outside then with enough roots I would thing it would be safe to cut them.
Posted via Mobile Device

If yours HAVE a bulb still attached. . . then I'm afraid to separate the plant from the bulb itself regardless of how big the root system gets. HOWEVER, I have read that the plant will eventually separate itself from it's bulb if left to its own devices...(again, don't know if this is actually TRUE)

How old are your lotuses? Or, how long have you had them - and does it seem as if there is more than one plant growing from each bulb?

Guess this one is going to be a wait-and-see kind of thing :) Either way, I'm super happy that my bulb is growing! And I'll be overjoyed if only the SINGLE plant that I expected is all I end up with in the end! *dances*

Boredomb 06-27-2012 11:14 PM

The bulb was super small like the size of a pea if not smaller. They are well atleast one is growing. Don't know how old they are I got them from a person on the betta fish forum. LoL I can ask them about your questions if you like .
Posted via Mobile Device