Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   C02 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/c02-1054/)

starcollector 10-24-2006 06:03 PM

C02

I purchased a C02 kit from Hagen at the petstore about 2 weeks ago. It has the fermentation bottle. I followed the directions and set up the "bubble counter" inside the aquarium. However, I only see a few little bubbles every few hours come out of the hose and cling to the "counter"/rack, then they disappear eventually. Is this how it's supposed to work? I guess I had been envisioning something like the air bubbles my pump produces, but perhaps I had it all wrong. Does this sound like its working? The instructions say that if the bubbles don't stay in the counter, something's wrong, but it doesn't say how many bubbles to expect at a time. I've never seen more than maybe 6-7 at most at a time. Thanks!!

Andrew 10-24-2006 06:20 PM

1 every 4 sec is all u need if the thing is on all day- dont forget this will affect your pH!!! i would advise you remove it at night or you might experience pH crash. I wouldnt advise you use an airstone with CO2, its like peeing in the wind- it will displace the CO2 from the water.

starcollector 10-25-2006 06:12 PM

Air/c02

So should I remove my airstone? What about providing 02 in the tank?

Andrew 10-30-2006 06:26 PM

your amount of co2 in the tank will be small, there is already oxygen in the water- what is the chemical make up of water?

If you break the surface of the water or use an airstone you will displace any co2 you inject, so remove the airstone.

Only does small amounts of co2 to begin with - once you have a tank of plants your plants will produce the o2 for your fish.

You wont see any amano tanks with airstones in them, it all depends on the system and the type of tank you are trying to produce.

fish_4_all 11-13-2006 07:20 PM

For a 46 gallon, there really isn't a good way to inject CO2 unless you get pressurized. That being said, you can make a DIY setup using 2 two liter bottles with a yeast and sugar mixture. Connect the bottles inline and feed them into your ladder. It won't put a whole lot of CO2 in your tank but it will help. For a 46 gallon you might need two of these setups to get enough CO2 to fight algae and to make a real difference. One at each end of the tank.

Now for CO2, you really need to get a KH test kit. Your KH needs to be 2-3 in order to prevent pH swings that could be dangerous to your fish. My KH is normally 4-6 degrees and I have never had a pH swing of more than .3 overnight leaving the DIY running all night. Even if your pH swings more than that the KH levels will prveent a lot of ill effects to your fish.

Before making any real changes, tell us a little more about your tank. Lighting watts, fertilizer dosing, plants, pH, KH, GH.