Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   killifish advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/killifish-advice-105328/)

maxw47 06-26-2012 02:14 AM

killifish advice

So I am getting 2 new tanks in the next few days. A 2.5 and a 10. The 2.5 is going to be a fry tank for my platies. I was thinking about breeding killifish in the new ten. I was specifically looking into the fundulopanchax gardneri, and only one pair (for now). Because I don't have the tank space, I can't condition them separated, is this step necessary? Also, I have heard that they should only be in the tank together for a 1-2 week breeding period. Is it alright if they are always in the tank together? My plan is to have the ten with the pair be bare bottom with a few breeding mops and maybe a piece of driftwood or something. Every night or two, I would take the breeding mops out and put them in a rubbermaid bin hatching tank and put new mops in the breeding tank(I don't think it is worth the effort to take out all of the eggs by hand). Once the eggs hatch and are free swimming for a few days, they will be moved to a fry grow out tank (probably another rubbermaid bin, just bigger). I probably will not take the mops out every night or two, just when I need fry. Does that all sound good? Please answer the questions if you can and add any additional info or comments. Thanks!

jaysee 06-26-2012 09:13 AM

Well, the 2.5 gallon tank is not suitable for a grow out tank for platys. Breeding and raising fry requires Several tanks.

If you want to try breeding the kills, then get an additional 2.5 gallon and keep each in its own so that you can condition them. Add them to the 10, then after they spawn, move them both back to their respective tanks and raise the fry in the 10.

cwmorrow 06-26-2012 11:18 AM

I've kept gardneri in a ten gallon filled with hornwort and kept a steady population going.

maxw47 06-26-2012 01:12 PM

Should I only leave the pair in the ten for a day or two, or a week or two (I have heard both). Also, how many fry per gallon (more specifically platy fry) is recommended. I'm just wondering this for future reference when I invest in a fry tank (I thought the 2.5 would be of size, but I guess not). For right now, I have fry in the tank with the adults, hiding in the plants, and a few that I have saved in a net breeder and an external refugium. Back to killifish, I just had an idea. What if I put a divider in the ten. The both fish could conditioned, put together, and then separated. But what about fry. If it is very densly planted, could I let the fry be with the adults? Hopefully you guys can answer my questions and/or offer any suggestions. Thanks!

jaysee 06-26-2012 01:19 PM

There is a lot of very consistent info out there on how to breed killis. Of course there are more than one method - it's a function of to what degree you want to take it.

If you want to grow out the platy fry, then they will need a tank larger than that in which you keep the parents. At least a 20 gallon, if not a 29. Again, it depends on how serious you want to be about it.

cwmorrow 06-26-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxw47 (Post 1130585)
If it is very densly planted, could I let the fry be with the adults?

A few will elude Mom and Dad until they are too large to be eaten.

maxw47 06-26-2012 01:36 PM

Ok, sounds good. I like your idea on the 2 2.5s and a 10. This all sounds like a big excuse for more tanks! Sounds like i'll be going out and getting another 2.5 and 20!

jaysee 06-26-2012 01:45 PM

What do you plan to do with all the fish?

maxw47 06-26-2012 02:40 PM

My LFS takes them for store credit.