Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   30g aquarium help... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/30g-aquarium-help-105324/)

mommyandkids 06-25-2012 11:11 PM

30g aquarium help...

I recently came into a 30g tank. Glass, has light, and hood. However, the previous owners told me the best thing to clean it with is toilet bowl cleaner. ACK!! I did keep my composure when he did say that. However, I don't see how it could be good for the fish. So, knowing this is how the tank was "cleaned" (hard water stains, from the looks of it) what is the best way of cleaning the glass aquarium, and hood. There are some hard water stains on the glass, and a definite lt brown/yellowish build up on the hood.

Romad 06-26-2012 04:37 AM

Toilet bowl cleaner :shock: You can try using white vinegar and an algae cleaner pad for glass. Don't be surprised if you can't get the hood discoloration to go away completely.

Good luck.

Varkolak 06-26-2012 06:20 AM

Seconded on vinegar - use scratch pads and razor blades for the glass and let the vinegar soak in for a few min before you start working on it, I used a spray bottle of 75% vinegar a couple drops of dish soak and 25% water cleaning my last new tank... Its actually a home made weed killer or so they say

fish monger 06-26-2012 07:13 AM

Algae pads or nylon scratchy pads and razor blades have always worked well for me for the glass. Scratchy pads should get rid of most of the deposits on the hood. It's best to let the surfaces soak for a few minutes before scrubbing. The vinegar would help speed up the process; however, I'd stay away from any sort of soap or detergent. Good luck !

mommyandkids 06-26-2012 08:13 AM

Thank you for the help! I know, when he told me to use toliet bowl cleaner, I was thinking: "Really dude? You are lucky you have fish!" Then I felt sorry for his fish and the filter that must have to work overtime! But I smiled and nodded, and took the tank.

mommyandkids 06-26-2012 08:16 AM

Another question regarding the same tank: When I get ready to cycle this tank, I was given a bunch of gravel with it. I am going to put sand in the bottom, but would it be safe if I cleaned it with the vinegar and water to offer the gravel to others? I don't want to hurt anyone else's fish, since I am sure the toilet bowl cleaner solution got on the gravel.....

fish monger 06-26-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyandkids (Post 1130330)
Another question regarding the same tank: When I get ready to cycle this tank, I was given a bunch of gravel with it. I am going to put sand in the bottom, but would it be safe if I cleaned it with the vinegar and water to offer the gravel to others? I don't want to hurt anyone else's fish, since I am sure the toilet bowl cleaner solution got on the gravel.....

I wouldn't bother. It's a nice idea but, like you said, it probably absorbed the bowl cleaner. Also, I'm not sure vinegar would counter act the bowl cleaner.

boxercrazy156 06-26-2012 10:56 AM

Lemon juice I heard works as good as viinegar I use razor blades and vinegar myself on the gravel issue I would just toss it its not worth the chance