Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New tank... suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-suggestions-105312/)

AK Fresh Water 06-25-2012 10:44 PM

New tank... suggestions?

This tank is not for myself. Someone I know who lives in another state is looking to start up an aquarium.
I'm trying to help guide him through owning a medium sized tank.

He is thinking about a tank somewhere between 20-30 gal, since there's a sale going on at petco ($1 per gallon). Anyways, here's the catch. I just looked up the water quality information from his provider and it's very different than anything I've dealt with before.
pH: 9.8-10
gh/dh: 99-108mg/L = 7 grains/gallon (soft)

I've never seen water SO basic. The water in my city is almost exactly 7.

What kinds of fish would do well in this kind of environment? How can the pH be adjusted to a reasonable level?

Varkolak 06-26-2012 02:04 AM

There is no way drinking water is that basic - you'd be better off looking into it one more time and if that really is the right ph advise him to move to a city that isnt toxic

Try having him get a ph strip test and shake a jar of water for a few second or leave a bucket out 24hrs then test it himself to get a real reading, if that was my city water I would be hiring lawyers

eug 06-26-2012 04:39 AM

Hmm.... the site for my municipal water supplier in Berlin Germany shows my local stats as well as the legal limiits, and for pH they give values between 6.5 and 9.5 as being the lower and upper limits, so by those standards your friend's water supply is outside the legal bounds. It wouldn't surprise me if the American water supply is more laxly regulated, though.

thekoimaiden 06-26-2012 10:33 AM

Depending on what the KH of the tap water is, the pH will drop. I do think your friend needs to buy some test kits and test for his/her self. I've found that my tap readings are slightly different than what my city water quality report it.

AK Fresh Water 06-26-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varkolak (Post 1130216)
There is no way drinking water is that basic - you'd be better off looking into it one more time and if that really is the right ph advise him to move to a city that isnt toxic

Try having him get a ph strip test and shake a jar of water for a few second or leave a bucket out 24hrs then test it himself to get a real reading, if that was my city water I would be hiring lawyers

I'm not making this up.
Here, see for yourself: http://www.amwater.com/files/MO_6010716_TWQ.pdf

I felt disgusted when I read it. I've been drinking the tap water. e_e

AK Fresh Water 06-26-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eug (Post 1130259)
Hmm.... the site for my municipal water supplier in Berlin Germany shows my local stats as well as the legal limiits, and for pH they give values between 6.5 and 9.5 as being the lower and upper limits, so by those standards your friend's water supply is outside the legal bounds. It wouldn't surprise me if the American water supply is more laxly regulated, though.

From what I've noticed, the mid west United States has a lack of respect for nature so I'm not surprised.
Most of the United States doesn't care about the environment.

AK Fresh Water 06-26-2012 01:26 PM

Ok, it looks like he is leaning towards a 29 gal tank.

thekoimaiden 06-26-2012 02:04 PM

Holy smokes that is really really basic water. Yikes. But the good news is the carbonate hardness (CaCO3) shows a dKH of 6. This is rather soft and means the pH will drop with a little time. Have your friend let a bucket of water sit for 24 hours and then test the pH. It should be down to a more manageable level.

Also, I think you're right about there being a lot of bad municipal water supplies. Termato is having some trouble with high nitrates in his water.

AK Fresh Water 06-26-2012 02:54 PM

Ok, I gave him AqAdvisor and let him come up with his own fish.

Here's what he picked:
6 Diamond Tetra
6 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
6 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Angelfish

I've been trying to convince him not to get the Angel but he won't budge from it.
I know smaller fish and Angels do not mix. I also though angels liked to be kept in groups.

What you you all think?

Byron 06-26-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK Fresh Water (Post 1130705)
Ok, I gave him AqAdvisor and let him come up with his own fish.

Here's what he picked:
6 Diamond Tetra
6 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
6 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Angelfish

I've been trying to convince him not to get the Angel but he won't budge from it.
I know smaller fish and Angels do not mix. I also though angels liked to be kept in groups.

What you you all think?

You said this was a 29g tank? This will not work.

Angelfish are shoaling and should be in a group of 5+ which requires a 4-foot tank minimum.

Diamond tetra maybe, but its a big maybe and not one i would attempt. This fish is better in larger groups than 6, it attains 2.5 inches, and it is active so it needs more space, at least a 3-foot tank.

Threadfin Rainbow is fine, and the rasbora; together, just add a few more of each, say 9. [By the way, the rainbow would be eaten by the angelfish anyway, so another reason not a good match.]

Substrate fish with the threadfin and rasbora could be a group of corys, or a group of the dwarf banded loach. A whiptail catfish would add interest with either.