Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What's wrong with my Hygrophila corymbosa? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/whats-wrong-my-hygrophila-corymbosa-105296/)

Chris7 06-25-2012 09:05 PM

What's wrong with my Hygrophila corymbosa?

2 Attachment(s)
Sonething is happening with my Hygrophila corymbosa, It looks like it's been attacked be caterpillers? But that's not possabile. I has little holes all over the leaves, It could'nt be the snails could it? Here's a few Pics. what do you's think?

rjordan390 06-26-2012 06:40 AM

Some of the pin holes are encircled with yellow. This is a sign of potassium deficiency. Check out this site for a colored diagram of plant deficiencies.
Aquarium Plants Deficiency | Aquariums Life

Byron 06-26-2012 12:59 PM

I agree. But the question is, what if any fertilizers are you using now? There has to be a balance of the 17 nutrients, so knowing what is being added now will help us suggest remedies.

Byron.

Chris7 06-26-2012 01:23 PM

I add Seachem's Comprehensive Plant Supplement, about once a week. I've also noticed the ones in my 10 gallon are doing good, the pics are from my 25 gallon. I wonder If it's not enough light, because now that I look closer my Water Sprite is growing more and starting to shade the Hygrophila?

Byron 06-26-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris7 (Post 1130605)
I add Seachem's Comprehensive Plant Supplement, about once a week. I've also noticed the ones in my 10 gallon are doing good, the pics are from my 25 gallon. I wonder If it's not enough light, because now that I look closer my Water Sprite is growing more and starting to shade the Hygrophila?

My H. corymbosa turned identical to yours, and i finally got rid of it. in my case, I had assumed light was the main culprit, but now i am inclined to think nutrients also were a factor. But this is a high light requiring plant, as most stem plants are. My Wisteria turned exactly the same.

What light is over the 25g? And while we're on it, what is the GH of your tap water?

Byron.

Chris7 06-27-2012 01:45 PM

I have 2 15 watt Mini Compact Fluoresent Bulbs, right now. But I'am looking at upgrading to a T5 set-up, But there pretty costly. So I have to wait for a bit, and I don't know my GH.

Byron 06-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris7 (Post 1131781)
I have 2 15 watt Mini Compact Fluoresent Bulbs, right now. But I'am looking at upgrading to a T5 set-up, But there pretty costly. So I have to wait for a bit, and I don't know my GH.

That light is good, if you have bulbs with around 6500K. If you can get a single-tube T5, fine, but a dual tube would be more than what can be balanced nutrient-wise.

The GH you can find out from the water supply people, might have a website. This is important as it is the prime source of calcium and magnesium and possibly important for potassium.