Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Neon Tetra VS. Flame Tetra (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neon-tetra-vs-flame-tetra-10523/)

jr.masterbreeder 01-02-2008 01:58 PM

Neon Tetra VS. Flame Tetra

which do you think is better?

crazy4fish 01-02-2008 03:34 PM

i'm not personally crazy about either one but i think i would rather have neons in my tank.

Lupin 01-02-2008 08:20 PM

Longevity:
Neons < Flames

Entertainment:
Neons = Flames

Aesthetic Reasons:
Neons > Flames

tophat665 01-06-2008 10:20 PM

Which is better? Garlic or Black Pepper? Water or air? A poke in the eye or a kick in the groin?

Different fish that look their best in different tanks. Not really comparable from where I sit.

Lupin 01-07-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Which is better? Garlic or Black Pepper? Water or air? A poke in the eye or a kick in the groin?

Different fish that look their best in different tanks. Not really comparable from where I sit.

LOL, Tophat!:lol: For some reason, I still adore green neons (Paracheirodon simulans) and cardinals more than the neons.:?

crazy4fish 01-08-2008 05:28 PM

i just dont think there is anything to flame tetras. at least neons have some color.

tophat665 01-08-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish
i just dont think there is anything to flame tetras. at least neons have some color.

They need black water of excellent quality with dark background and substrate and low lighting, and they have to be fed food with color enhancers (Cyclops and ground krill are good for that) and live food to be at their best. Also, there is a hypomelanistic strain around these days called a golden von rio that's a really attractive orange shading to red. They also do best in a tank where they are the only midwater fish, or at least the most active. To top it off, I've never had a flame tetra die of "Failure to Thrive", which I most certainly have had with neons.

That said, while neons are truly at their best in the same setting, they look very good in a large school over an iwagumi layout, and can show up better in a lighter tank. Further, neons are more inclined to hide than flames (in my experience), so I would tank them with a limited number of hiding places - shorter plants, more open water, and even less obtrusive tankmates than with Flames. I'd also make sure I quarantined for a full four weeks, and only added them to an aquarium that was well planted and long established after the same sort of drip acclimation I would give otos.

Mirta 01-09-2008 02:16 PM

What do those Flames look like? :question:

Mirta 01-11-2008 03:13 PM

Found them! Neons look better!

tophat665 01-11-2008 10:26 PM

Neons look better if you want vibrant colors and lots of contrast. Flames look better if you want pastels.