Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 75g, what to do with it (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-75g-what-do-105220/)

Peanut72 06-25-2012 12:32 AM

New 75g, what to do with it

Ok, I have a 75g tank and stand that was given to me and cant decide what to do with it. It has some random plants and filters with it but that stuff will be mostly done away with. I currently have a 75g community lightly planted tank stocked with mostly tetras running and doing well. I am thinking of a few different directions and cant decode what to do with it so, lets hear for you guys. Here is what i am thinking off the top of my head with no real planning on anything as of yet:

1 - Cichlid tank - love them for their color and activity
2 - Angel tank - think a tank full of them would be nice and peaceful - i know, contradiction from above
3 - one or two large "centerpiece" type fish - just to be different

I know, the first thing that will be thrown at me is water params and I do not have them right off, and maintenance so lets just go with this as if they arent important (I know they are). I doubt this tank will be set up and running for a while, for reasons id rather not get into, so i have time to take all of that into concideration. What I would like to hear from you guys is a here is an "I'd love to have tank" and why that falls into one of the three tanks that I have listed. And of course lets not leave out the "I wouldn't do ____ because of" either. So lets have it, I guess a vote of sorts on what you would do with a 75g tank, Cichlids, Angels or a centerpiece tank.

Varkolak 06-25-2012 12:41 AM

My vote is on angels because that is your easiest route with various tetras and what not in a community, if you got cichlids or a large centerpiece you would either need a new tetra tank or let them all get eaten

That being said I have always felt a cichlid tank would be rewarding starting with 3-4 fish and allowing them to populate the tank - start with something expensive and soon you have a tank of 20 $15 fish - Probably not what you had in mind because that's not very diverse but you still get some fry to survive in a community cichlid tank and every one counts in its own way

Large centerpiece fish get old fast, they usually don't do much and are high maintenance to feed and keep clean requiring more filtration then smaller fish who will stay active and entertaining and leave you open to add more fish in the future

There is my take on it, take it how you will

AK Fresh Water 06-25-2012 01:58 AM

Out of the categories you've given me, my vote goes for a Cichlid tank. (Though I'm sure you know about their special water needs). xD
I'm obsessed with these Holey Rocks:
Holey Rocks - Your Fish Stuff Store

BUT, if I could to anything to a 75, I would probably set up a Boesemani Rainbow Tank. Their colors are just stunning, especially in large shoals.

1077 06-25-2012 09:03 AM

Would all depend on water chemistry,pH,GH,KH before I could safely suggest anythying useful.
I would want to keep fish that would thrive with the water most easily produced by me (ie) tapwater.
This may or may not be suitable for particular species I was considering.

Geomancer 06-25-2012 09:27 AM

Angels are my favorite so... option 2 for me. But 'full of them' would be ~5-6. They get large, and I wouldn't want to over crowd them. Chances are you'll get a spawning pair, and the pair will drive the others into the opposite corner during spawning and whenever eggs are present.

Option 1 requires hard water, option 2 requires soft water. So that will make your decision for you between those two.

Option 3 ... I don't know, I'd personally not like having a large tank with only one fish in it. I like all the activity in a community tank.

Olympia 06-25-2012 05:58 PM

I vote number 3. But I can't suggest anything as most big centerpiece fish I know of are pretty demanding beings, or you know, just "big uglies" that most people won't be interested in. :-D

I think number 2, angels, is the easiest option to take. Plus they do come in a ton of nice colours, I love the koi coloured ones.

Peanut72 06-25-2012 06:15 PM

Just for clarification, this is a second tank in addition to the community tank that is already running, not so much to add more fish to the existing community. All I really have for it right now is the tank and stand and some random plastic plants that will most likely not be used and some red gravel which wont be used, undergravel filters and two hob's. Have to pretty much start from scratch on this one. May look a little further into the Angel tank, I really wanted some in my community tank, but I am leaning toward the higher side for water hardness/ pH. Back when I first started my first tank a few yrs ago, I had reputable person on this site translate my water params directly from the water company website. He figured my water hardness to about a 9 dGH making that a medium hardness and pH is about 7.6. According to the profiles, I need to be under 15 dGH and prefferably below 7 on pH, so Im not sure if Angels will be a great choice.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on this. Ill chew it over for a while and then get me a plan together.

Byron 06-26-2012 12:15 PM

Angelfish would be OK in your water, as they will be tank raised as opposed to wild caught. While pH below 7 will still suit them better, slightly basic will cause no major issues. And the pH may well lower a bit naturally as the tank matures biologically.

You could have a nice display with angelfish. Starting from a clean slate so to speak, you could go one of two ways: an authentic angelfish biotope, with play sand, chunks of wood and branches, and only floating plants. There are several compatible fish for this. The light could be minimal, ideal for angels, because the only plants are floating. The angels would be right at home and shine.

Alternatively, a lightly planted tank. Much as above only adding some large Echinodorus (sword) plants and the chain sword or pygmy chain sword. Light would be a bit more important here to provide sufficient, but a single 48-inch T8 would still be adequate.

Byron.

Peanut72 06-29-2012 06:26 PM

Thats good to hear Byron. I am leaning heavily in that direction. Looks like about 6 is going to be the max on what I can put in the tank and would like to do a BN Pleco with them. Thinking of doing dual Fluval 305's to filter and thinking about giving one of those DIY 3d backgrounds a shot. Looks like a lot of work, but the ones Ive seen I really liked. Play sand substrate and a few plants/sticks sound like it will just about fit the bill. Lots of time left to get this thing going, but Ill update as I get started.

Byron 06-29-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut72 (Post 1134836)
Thats good to hear Byron. I am leaning heavily in that direction. Looks like about 6 is going to be the max on what I can put in the tank and would like to do a BN Pleco with them. Thinking of doing dual Fluval 305's to filter and thinking about giving one of those DIY 3d backgrounds a shot. Looks like a lot of work, but the ones Ive seen I really liked. Play sand substrate and a few plants/sticks sound like it will just about fit the bill. Lots of time left to get this thing going, but Ill update as I get started.

I wouldn't recommend two canisters. The Fluval 305 is rated for up to 80 gallons, so that is quite sufficient. You don't want much water movement with angelfish.