Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Isolated platy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/isolated-platy-105154/)

nawilson89 06-24-2012 12:29 PM

Isolated platy

I have a platy species tank with a few cory and ghost shrimp. Its a 29g tank with 6 females and two males. Two or three of the females have already given birth, but one female is isolating herself from the others and sitting at the top of the tank.

Ive gone to my LFS multiple times to get my water checked and I'm all in the green.

She does try to get into spawning position with other females, i feel like she just isnt getting the attention from the males to actually get pregnant and might be "stressed"?

Anyone ever have a similar problem?

mollylover 06-25-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1128064)
I have a platy species tank with a few cory and ghost shrimp. Its a 29g tank with 6 females and two males. Two or three of the females have already given birth, but one female is isolating herself from the others and sitting at the top of the tank.

Ive gone to my LFS multiple times to get my water checked and I'm all in the green.

She does try to get into spawning position with other females, i feel like she just isnt getting the attention from the males to actually get pregnant and might be "stressed"?

Anyone ever have a similar problem?

I have a red wag platy who has had 2 litters since I have had her and I have 6 surviving females which get all the attention and I think my platy is depressed as she hides behind the filter..maybe we need to get another male in the mix to even it all out?? All her partners have passed away so she might be bummed..my water is ok too so another male for the ladies?? I have noticed that the males either mark their territory that certain females belong to them..
just a thought haven't had a tank in awhile

maxw47 06-25-2012 01:05 AM

I have a trio of platies in one tank(1 M 2 F) and the male will only mate or even pay attention to one of them. Whenever I take 'his' female out to the birthing tank, he is constantly pacing the glass and seems stressed. But when she is with him, he is always trying to mate. Then the female is stressed. The other female in the trio seems fine with not having to mate, she just swims around and does her own thing. I think I am going to get a new male for that tank and put this male in another tank. I guess male platies are a little picky.

nawilson89 06-26-2012 10:21 PM

Unfortunately she passed away today. Still no idea what was wrong. Took a look at the body, scales were all intact and everything looked good. Water parameters are still in the clear.

donnie 06-28-2012 07:52 PM

I found male platys to be odd in what they pick as a mate... my male shared a tank with a juvinle electric yellow ciclid for some time and he was madly in love with her... he would lean aganst her and love on her... funny thing is she seemed to like his attention... however she got sick and wouldnt eat and that little platy would spit food out near her and nudge her over to eat it.... sadly she died and he was very depressed over it.... got him his first females wich excited him but i lost them as well.... now i have two more females and he is only interested in one.... however the other was pregnant from the start and had her first clutch. platy males seem picky but odd at times. btw one of my videos on youtube is of his strange affair with that cichlid.
Posted via Mobile Device