Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Is my Platy pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-platy-pregnant-105019/)

RackinRocky 06-22-2012 08:53 PM

Is my Platy pregnant?

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]57890[/ATTACH

]I recently asked if my platy was a female. Well, now she getting fatter and fatter, so my new post is: Is she pregnant, lol.

cwgrl42 06-24-2012 01:00 AM

It sure looks like it and yes you have a female!! I just found a 1 cm fry today that is red and black!!! Make sure that you give the babies plenty of hiding places!!!!

FluffyWolf2 06-24-2012 07:56 AM

I would agree that she looks pregnant versus just a hog and eating to much. One way I feel you can kinda tell, just like on a human mother, their belly will begin to look as though they are fattening up, and then will take on a bit of a bulge that is not the smooth curve that fat would just add on. :)

So, looks like little ones in the future perhaps! Lots of hiding places, if you can catch them and put them in a breeder net that can help. I personally let my fish give birth in my tank (though I only have a few) then move to the breeder net where I have some fluval grass thing for the babies to swing in and out of.

Congrats ;)... assuming you wanted little ones. If not, still congrats cause its fun! :D

mollylover 06-24-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluffyWolf2 (Post 1127902)
I would agree that she looks pregnant versus just a hog and eating to much. One way I feel you can kinda tell, just like on a human mother, their belly will begin to look as though they are fattening up, and then will take on a bit of a bulge that is not the smooth curve that fat would just add on. :)

So, looks like little ones in the future perhaps! Lots of hiding places, if you can catch them and put them in a breeder net that can help. I personally let my fish give birth in my tank (though I only have a few) then move to the breeder net where I have some fluval grass thing for the babies to swing in and out of.

Congrats ;)... assuming you wanted little ones. If not, still congrats cause its fun! :D

aww cute my blue platy exactly like yrs is expecting too congrats..btw her gestation period seems to be taking forever

RackinRocky 06-25-2012 12:41 AM

Thanks guys. My balloon molly was supposedly pregnant, and that was 2 months ago, so I guess the consensus now is she is just a pig! This platy is quite a pig too, so who knows? Yes, I have a java and flame moss pole, filling out nicely, and floating frogbit. So hopefully the babies will be able to hide. I don't plan on doing anything with them, and see how many survive on their own. After all, if they all survived, what would I do with them all?

aussieJJDude 06-25-2012 03:12 AM

what a cute good luck, so ypu will have 10000000