Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Too Good To Be True? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/too-good-true-104940/)

War Monk 06-22-2012 12:39 AM

Too Good To Be True?

1 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on where my new tank might be at cycling wise.
Its a 4' 50 gallon with and eheim pro 6 filter, 3 small guppies, 1 platy and 10 lemon tetras, plus some plants of which some are growing very well water sprite, ambulia and the stuff on the right (pic attached to help show what I mean). Its been set up for about 3 & 1/2 weeks now with the platy and guppies initially and the tetras for one week now.

Sooooo.....

I finally got my testing kit and tested the water for the last 2 days and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate for yesterday and today. I would have thought that I would have some nitrate in the water.

Is this too good to be true? Are the plants really that good at soaking up the N?
Is it time to add more of the fish I want?

Btw I do about 10% water change every 3 days. I also got some water from the lps and tested that - around 20 ppm nitrate so the kit appears to be working.

Thanks in advance!

Tazman 06-22-2012 12:46 AM

It is really possible that you have no Nitrate. Plants do, do a very good at soaking it up.

With the water changes as well, it can be reduced to zero and the tank is nowhere near overstocked, so the bioload is not very big either.

Varkolak 06-22-2012 06:45 AM

Ya I have all zeros in my planted tank with a very similar fish to plant ratio that you have so its not hard to imagine yours has zeros too, enjoy it!

Byron 06-22-2012 12:28 PM

I concur with Tazman and Varkolak. Plants really are a blessing, which sometimes we only realize after getting them.:-)

Romad 06-22-2012 03:20 PM

You've got live plants and minimal bio-load there so it sure is possible. Great looking tank btw :thumbsup:

RackinRocky 06-22-2012 10:42 PM

Just want to say your tank is so peaceful looking--so relaxing just looking at it! I bet the fish love it.

War Monk 06-22-2012 11:00 PM

Thanks for the advice and compliments :-)
I knew live plants are generally good but didn't realize they were this good!
Guess its time to start thinking about adding the next species. Neons I recon :thumbsup:

Byron 06-23-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Monk (Post 1126535)
Thanks for the advice and compliments :-)
I knew live plants are generally good but didn't realize they were this good!
Guess its time to start thinking about adding the next species. Neons I recon :thumbsup:

What are your water parameters, meaning GH (general hardness) and pH?

War Monk 06-23-2012 05:49 PM

Alas I dont know the harndess figures for my water. Have a trip to the big smoke comming up and aim to snag some kits then. I can say that it is rain water from our roof though so prolly fairly soft, ph 6.8-7.

Byron 06-23-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War Monk (Post 1127326)
Alas I dont know the harndess figures for my water. Have a trip to the big smoke comming up and aim to snag some kits then. I can say that it is rain water from our roof though so prolly fairly soft, ph 6.8-7.

That will be fine for tetra and such, but your livebearers (I see guppy and platy in the photo) will not be too happy. If you are using rainwater, it will almost certainly be soft, and the pH will be acidic.