Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tiger Barb question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tiger-barb-question-10489/)

ronster486 01-01-2008 06:29 PM

Tiger Barb question

I have a 30 gallon tank and just put in the first stock of fish. I put in three Tiger Barbs and of course plan on adding more fish in some time. How many Tiger Barbs is enough so that they will not bother the other fish in the tank?

tsalling 01-01-2008 06:35 PM

Usually they like to be in larger groups, around 6 or 7.

ronster486 01-01-2008 06:38 PM

Okay, so I should get more of them in the second stock correct? Also, what fish are compatible with Tiger Barbs that I can fit in my tank?

tsalling 01-02-2008 09:32 AM

I would definitely add more to make them less aggressive, but there is still a chance they could still nip other fish. What other fish are you thinking about getting?

willow 01-02-2008 09:43 AM

hi
i would be interested to know what other fish you would like aswell.
then we could help you a little bit better.

Cody 01-02-2008 11:58 AM

Re: Tiger Barb question

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronster486
I have a 30 gallon tank and just put in the first stock of fish. I put in three Tiger Barbs and of course plan on adding more fish in some time. How many Tiger Barbs is enough so that they will not bother the other fish in the tank?

7 is the minimum.

ronster486 01-02-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsalling
I would definitely add more to make them less aggressive, but there is still a chance they could still nip other fish. What other fish are you thinking about getting?

Well, from what I understand most of the community fish available in stores are not really compatible with Tiger Barbs so I'm guessing that rules out some of the fish I'm interested in such as Mollies, Swordtails, and any Catfish. Other than that, I've been interested in Dianos and Sharks.

crazy4fish 01-02-2008 03:37 PM

well thats a pretty good selection. you should be safe with mollies if you dont get the ones with the long fancy fins, but i would stay away from swords, the tails on the males will be nipped off by the barbs. any catfish will be fine and so should most sharks. danios are a bit nippy themselves and i dont know how they would do with barbs.

other fish you could get would be: CHERRY BARBS(i recomend these to everyone thinking about getting more fish because they are beautiful, peaceful and dont have to be in large groups. they wont nip like tiger barbs), GOURAMIS (dwarf would probably be best space wise), PLATIES, RAINBOW FISH, LOACHES, RAMS(i think), SILVER DOLLARS, ODESSA BARBS, RUMMY NOSE TETRA(i'm not positive about these but if they are ok with the barbs they are great fish to have).

that should give you some choices, and if i'm wrong about any of these PLEASE correct me. i never had tiger barbs but want to get them extremely badly. i have heard most of these fish will be ok with them.
hope i helped :wink:

ronster486 01-02-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish
well thats a pretty good selection. you should be safe with mollies if you dont get the ones with the long fancy fins, but i would stay away from swords, the tails on the males will be nipped off by the barbs. any catfish will be fine and so should most sharks. danios are a bit nippy themselves and i dont know how they would do with barbs.

other fish you could get would be: CHERRY BARBS(i recomend these to everyone thinking about getting more fish because they are beautiful, peaceful and dont have to be in large groups. they wont nip like tiger barbs), GOURAMIS (dwarf would probably be best space wise), PLATIES, RAINBOW FISH, LOACHES, RAMS(i think), SILVER DOLLARS, ODESSA BARBS, RUMMY NOSE TETRA(i'm not positive about these but if they are ok with the barbs they are great fish to have).

that should give you some choices, and if i'm wrong about any of these PLEASE correct me. i never had tiger barbs but want to get them extremely badly. i have heard most of these fish will be ok with them.
hope i helped :wink:

Wow that really helped me out a lot. Thanks for confirming that the fish I like would work with the Tiger Barbs. I had a feeling that the Swordtails wouldn't work out well because of their tail, but I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Does anyone have suggestions for what my next batch of fish should contain? I plan on adding the 3-4 other Tiger Barbs in the next batch, but perhaps something else could be added such as the Cherry Barbs (I've seen them, they are quite nice) or a cleaning-bottom dwelling fish such as a Catfish (most likely I would need two or three of them correct?).

willow 01-03-2008 09:41 AM

hi
if you would like to add corydora catfish,then i advise
them to be in a group no less than three,they are
great to watch in a group,not sure about mixing species
but the larger the group the more chance you have
of either males and females.
:)