Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello! New betta owner (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-new-betta-owner-104840/)

mizzlainy 06-21-2012 01:13 AM

Hello! New betta owner

I joined this forum to do my research and whatnot before purchasing my tank and supplies for my new betta =) I have always wanted a betta fish, but held back..Then I saw my cousins betta (in a pretty confined area, but I'm not gonna lecture her about it), which set my mind on getting one and now here I am with my betta! I've got a 3gallon tank for him with some decorations (only one live plant). I wanted this really tiny algae eater that the pet store worker said wasn't gonna get much bigger, but I held back after reading posts about it not being a good idea ;(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...96155705_n.jpg

I don't know if my betta is just a double tail betta. He was in a container labeled that, but he kind of looks like a halfmoon double tail to me.. I don't know .. :-D

I'm ready to learn more and provide a better life for my betta!

Varkolak 06-21-2012 06:28 AM

Don't know much about bettas specifically but hes a beauty, if you want a nice algae eater you should see if you can find a couple olive nerite snails around where you live, the betta wont mess with them. they look very nice, and they will get the job done. You could consider some maylasian trumpet snails, they aren't as pretty and most pets stores will just give them away but they are one of the best snails for any tank. Actual fish tank mates for a betta are pretty restricted but hopefully some other members will chime in on what will do well in a 3gal with him.

;-) Goodluck and welcome to TFK

Stormfish 06-21-2012 07:54 AM

If you want a tankmate for your new friend, I recommend a single snail. They're voracious eaters, and a 3 gallon probably won't even satisfy it. I had a single Apple Snail in my betta's 4 gallon tank, and I still had to supplement its diet with algae wafers.

Unfortunately, my betta kept picking on my snail and nipping at it whenever it came out of its shell to feed, so just keep an eye on your betta for aggression.

I do not recommend any other tankmates for a betta. That tiny algae eater you mentioned was probably an Otocynclus Affinus. They require a minimum tank size of 30 gallons and require a shoal of 3 at minimum. Please do not put any other fish, frogs, etc., in the tank with your betta.

konstargirl 06-21-2012 11:35 AM

Hi and welcome! I agree with everyone else. Bettas are Loners and don't appreciate other animals very well..

mizzlainy 06-21-2012 12:17 PM

Thanks guys! I've got my mind set on leaving him by himself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Varkolak 06-21-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormfish (Post 1124170)

I do not recommend any other tankmates for a betta. That tiny algae eater you mentioned was probably an Otocynclus Affinus. They require a minimum tank size of 30 gallons and require a shoal of 3 at minimum. Please do not put any other fish, frogs, etc., in the tank with your betta.

I'm betting it was a chinese algae eater, their pretty common and sold as small fish but get huge

kathymalaspina 06-21-2012 04:19 PM

He is BEAUTIFUL...

mizzlainy 06-21-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymalaspina (Post 1124794)
He is BEAUTIFUL...

thank you!

pettyone 06-21-2012 06:35 PM

Meet Alpha!

1 Attachment(s)
***SORRY, THOUGHT I HAD GREETED YOU ALREADY*** DIDN'T MEAN TO POST MY PIC IN YOUR THREAD!***
(Rookie mistake!)

You have a beautiful fish, by the way, mizzlainy!

mizzlainy 06-22-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pettyone (Post 1124970)
***SORRY, THOUGHT I HAD GREETED YOU ALREADY*** DIDN'T MEAN TO POST MY PIC IN YOUR THREAD!***
(Rookie mistake!)

You have a beautiful fish, by the way, mizzlainy!

No problem :) and thank you! Love the color on yours!