Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   guppy parasite?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/guppy-parasite-104738/)

ilikefishy 06-19-2012 11:58 PM

guppy parasite??

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I have a 10 gallon tank with just 2 guppies, a neon tetra and a young platy (nothing aggressive). The other day I noticed something clinging to the side of one of the guppies and immediately thought... omg, what the hell is that. I've never seen anything like this before in any of my prior tanks and couldn't find anything online that fit the description. The guppy looked like its intestines had exploded out of its side right behind its side fin. I tried to get a good picture of it and I'll upload that so u guys can have a look. Oddly enough, the next day there was only a small mark left on the guppy and the entire time I observed it (both day 1 and day 2) the fish was eating and acting normal, breathing normal... etc. Anyway, really hoping to figure out what this was and what to do about it. It kind of scared me a little bit. I always get nervous about putting my hands in the water in case anything could end up in my body lol...
Attachment 57699

Attachment 57700

ilikefishy 06-20-2012 01:19 AM

just for clarification - the first picture is when i first noticed it (day 1) and the second picture is the following afternoon (day 2)

marshallsea 06-20-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikefishy (Post 1122831)
just for clarification - the first picture is when i first noticed it (day 1) and the second picture is the following afternoon (day 2)

That is wild! I have no idea. Have you seen the movie Aliens ?

ilikefishy 06-20-2012 12:16 PM

lol like i said... i'm scared to put my hand in the tank now :P

marshallsea 06-20-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikefishy (Post 1123090)
lol like i said... i'm scared to put my hand in the tank now :P

Probably an infection or parasite. H ave you considered a salt dip or dips?

ilikefishy 06-20-2012 02:43 PM

hmmm i haven't tried anything yet... im so confused because i definitely would have expected whatever happened to kill it. i mean it looks like the side of the fish exploded lol but despite that, it seems to be completely normal. if it's a parasite, would i need to put something in the water to get rid of any progeny? i don't want to see it keep happening. i'm also kind of wondering where it came from... i've been using quality fish food and haven't added any plants or anything in a long time. what ratio of salt:water is good to use for a salt dip on a guppy?

marshallsea 06-20-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikefishy (Post 1123289)
hmmm i haven't tried anything yet... im so confused because i definitely would have expected whatever happened to kill it. i mean it looks like the side of the fish exploded lol but despite that, it seems to be completely normal. if it's a parasite, would i need to put something in the water to get rid of any progeny? i don't want to see it keep happening. i'm also kind of wondering where it came from... i've been using quality fish food and haven't added any plants or anything in a long time. what ratio of salt:water is good to use for a salt dip on a guppy?

As im new I dont have alot of answers for your questions. But my fish had ich and were miserable. During treatment a few times i did a dip and they felt much better for a while. It cant hurt. I put 2-3 teaspoons of table salt in a bowl of tank water. Netted the fish and leaving them in the net set them in the bowl for 10-15 mins and put them back. Parasites and infections dont do well in salt. Fish seem to love it.

marshallsea 06-20-2012 04:12 PM

Go to guppyplace.tripod.com/ailments and /parasites. They have a lot of info on guppies and talk about how to treat your tank with salt. Salt may kill live plants and snails or shrimp.

ilikefishy 06-20-2012 04:46 PM

thanks!! i will check it out

marshallsea 06-20-2012 04:46 PM

Ive been on guppyplace website and it maybe an anchorworm. When you get to the site, you will have a better idea what it is.