Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Moss Ball from LFS has small lead weight attached, safe? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/moss-ball-lfs-has-small-lead-104662/)

Magna pisces custos 06-19-2012 12:36 AM

Moss Ball from LFS has small lead weight attached, safe?

Hi all, I purchased a floating moss ball from petco that has a small lead weight attached to the tying line.
Is this safe for the fish over the long term? And can a metal like lead effect pH?
Thanks!

Varkolak 06-19-2012 04:12 AM

First off welcome to TFK =P

Moss balls normally don't need to be weighed down in the first place, they might float around for a day or two but soon they will find a place to rest on the bottom on their own, I and most of our other members avoid those lead weights just because no metal in an aquarium is safe forever and if you were to buy a pack of them the packages will say non-toxic....made in china - good reason as any not to use it

marshallsea 06-19-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varkolak (Post 1121588)
First off welcome to TFK =P

Moss balls normally don't need to be weighed down in the first place, they might float around for a day or two but soon they will find a place to rest on the bottom on their own, I and most of our other members avoid those lead weights just because no metal in an aquarium is safe forever and if you were to buy a pack of them the packages will say non-toxic....made in china - good reason as any not to use it

Lead is banned in paint, drinking water and kids toys. Why should fish be different? Are they coated? Even if they are I would not trust the coating.

Olympia 06-19-2012 06:11 AM

A lot of people have been selling fake "moss balls". If your moss ball refuses to sink without the weight, even after good soaking in water, it's not real. A lot of people grow algae and roll it into balls, I've even heard growing it around styrofoam balls.
Hope this isn't the case for you. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Magna pisces custos 06-19-2012 01:36 PM

The one I purchased is definitely moss. I did see some non-floating balls that were very green and looked like algae.

Magna pisces custos 06-19-2012 01:44 PM

The moss balls purchased are advertised as "floating", don't think they are supposed to sink. The guy who works there has many planted tanks, he said if they are tied down to a surface they will adhere to it and grow a carpet. Will get some fishing line and ditch the lead weight.
Wild Moss?
I know of a natural spring that flows year round into a creek, there is moss galore in the spring water. I was thinking about harvesting some. Lots of people warn of parasites from wild plants, however the spring water is from underground, very clean, and no fish or other large organisms are living in the spring water before it hits the creek down the slop. Does anyone still think it could be dangerous for putting in the tank? Moss is my new favorite I think. Great look.

Olympia 06-19-2012 01:47 PM

Obviously you did not purchase the lovable Marimo! :lol:
It would become a carpet, usually people take some thread and tie it to driftwood so it attaches.
Posted via Mobile Device

Magna pisces custos 06-19-2012 02:09 PM

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should have got some of the Marimo! haha

Tikibirds 06-20-2012 12:16 AM

I thought moss balls were algae? the ones i had looked like the same stuff that were growing on my wild caught trapdoor snails

petco has floating moss balls that are tied down with string. it looks like java moss or something very similar

Magna pisces custos 06-20-2012 12:47 AM

Probably is java moss. It does look like it.