Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Can a Comet Goldfish be kept with 2 African Dwarf Frogs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/can-comet-goldfish-kept-2-african-104645/)

ZTK412 06-18-2012 09:40 PM

Can a Comet Goldfish be kept with 2 African Dwarf Frogs

I want to know if I can keep 1 comet goldfish ( 2.5 in ) with 2 African Dwarf Frogs ( 1.25 and 1.5 in ) in a 5 gallon aquarium. :-DThanks!!:-D

jaysee 06-18-2012 10:08 PM

Have you done any research on comet goldfish?

The 5 gallon really isn't any better than the 2 gallon it's currently in. If the fish was allowed to grow, it would eat the frogs. However, the fish will not get big enough/live long enough to do so in such a tiny tank.

sparkyjoe 06-18-2012 10:14 PM

The 5pm gallon might work for the frogs, but I believe Comet Goldfish get huge.

I'll let more experienced keepers give you additional information, but meanwhile you might want to check the fish profiles (click on the shaded fish name in your message, or click on the link at the top of the page) to get more details.

If you don't already have the Goldfish I wouldn't get one, or if you do already have it maybe it can be returned?
Posted via Mobile Device

Olympia 06-18-2012 10:27 PM

A healthy comet goldfish will grow to around a foot long, and should have 75 gallons, or optimally a pond. And yes it will try to eat the frogs. The goldfish is also cooler water, while the frog is tropical.

This is not a fish for your average home aquarium.

thekoimaiden 06-18-2012 10:42 PM

The short answer is no. And you can't even keep the comet goldfish in there for very long. Comet goldfish grow to around a foot long, produce copious amounts of waste, and will eat anything that can fit in its mouth (this includes the frogs). Comet goldfish do best in tanks larger than 55 gallons and are really best in outdoor ponds. I'm sorry you have been lead to believe otherwise. If you are not prepared for something like this, return the fish. Leaving it in the 2 gal or 5 gal tank will cause it great harm.

maxw47 06-19-2012 12:55 AM

++1^ Comets and small aquariums DO NOT mix! It is pretty unfortunate that the majority of society thinks that goldfish are the perfect fish for small aquariums or bowls. They are the exact opposite. Sorry for your misconception, good luck!

ZTK412 06-19-2012 02:17 PM

I currently have 3 ducks with a pond and due to your comments I will put the goldfish in their if it will they be ok with the ducks ( 2 White Pekin 10-12 lbs and 1 Cayuga 6 pounds - the gold fish eating them will not be a problem but I don't want the ducks to damage the comet ) ??? Sorry about the 2 gallon tank I won it at a fair and had to scramble to put something together ( I won 3 and this one is the only survivor and I am trying to nurse him back to full health) . Thanks

thekoimaiden 06-19-2012 04:28 PM

Your goldfish should do just fine in the pond. He will probably hide a lot, but once he gets large you'll see him a lot more. You could even add some goldfish friends for him in there!

Olympia 06-19-2012 04:47 PM

Hmm, I wonder if the ducks cycled the pond? Or am I just crazy?

ZTK412 06-19-2012 05:01 PM

I will put him in there and I am planing to get some friends for him/her. The ducks probably could cycle the pond.