Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Another water parameter question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/another-water-parameter-question-104625/)

marshallsea 06-18-2012 04:40 PM

Another water parameter question.

I have asked this before but I have a way of over thinking things and am confused. I have been mixing r/o water and the tap water I use 50/50, and I now have no idea why. The tap water parameters are ph-7.5, gh-18 dh, kh-5 dh, nitrite-0, nitrate-0 or very close to 0, ammonia-0. Is there a legitimate reason I've been doing this or can i simply use the tap water? I have a 20g with 3 platys.

Molinious 06-18-2012 04:44 PM

I can only say what i do personally as im not exactly a full blown water chemist (yet haha), all i add to my water from the tap is a dechlorinator and thats it, iv got lava rocks and mopani roots in my aquariums aswell as its heavily planted and i havent had any issues with water yet. I do 2 tests a week. 2 days before a water change and a second one the day after. So far so good! Sometimes overthinking really doesnt help, as long as your confident with what your doing and your fish are healthy then theres no real need to stress

marshallsea 06-18-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molinious (Post 1120958)
I can only say what i do personally as im not exactly a full blown water chemist (yet haha), all i add to my water from the tap is a dechlorinator and thats it, iv got lava rocks and mopani roots in my aquariums aswell as its heavily planted and i havent had any issues with water yet. I do 2 tests a week. 2 days before a water change and a second one the day after. So far so good! Sometimes overthinking really doesnt help, as long as your confident with what your doing and your fish are healthy then theres no real need to stress

Over thinking is the enemy for me, I just cant figure out why I was mixing in the first place. Thanks.

Molinious 06-18-2012 05:19 PM

Everyone starts somewhere and over time it will all become 2nd nature! I started with aquariums when i was in my early teens and i have learned so much more in the time iv been a member of this forum than i did in roughly 20 years!!!!

What i was doing before i started coming on here seemed to have worked, very rarely have any losses, but with the wealth of knowledge available from other members it has taken it all to a new level!

Im addicted to this hobby, i drive people at work and family nuts, but i dont care i have found something that interests me, brings out my creative streak, improves my knowledge and expands the mind.

The results im starting to get now are superb, better than anything before.

All i can say is if you need to ask anything that will improve what you do and how then ask, your confidence will build and your hobby will flourish!

marshallsea 06-18-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molinious (Post 1121001)
Everyone starts somewhere and over time it will all become 2nd nature! I started with aquariums when i was in my early teens and i have learned so much more in the time iv been a member of this forum than i did in roughly 20 years!!!!

What i was doing before i started coming on here seemed to have worked, very rarely have any losses, but with the wealth of knowledge available from other members it has taken it all to a new level!

Im addicted to this hobby, i drive people at work and family nuts, but i dont care i have found something that interests me, brings out my creative streak, improves my knowledge and expands the mind.

The results im starting to get now are superb, better than anything before.

All i can say is if you need to ask anything that will improve what you do and how then ask, your confidence will build and your hobby will flourish!

I make a point of learning something every time I'm on this forum. And i try to help people who know less than me, all 2 of them.

Molinious 06-18-2012 05:25 PM

Everyday is a school day for everyone! We all learn something new daily regardless of knowledge or age

jaysee 06-18-2012 06:00 PM

In my opinion the best thing to do is to get the fish acclimated to your normal water. I would never advise someone alter their water chemistry unless it was at an extreme. I know some will disagree, but in my experience stable water is better than perfect water....unless you have the time and energy to be constantly concerned about it.

marshallsea 06-18-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1121067)
In my opinion the best thing to do is to get the fish acclimated to your normal water. I would never advise someone alter their water chemistry unless it was at an extreme. I know some will disagree, but in my experience stable water is better than perfect water....unless you have the time and energy to be constantly concerned about it.

Ok then, I assume the above listed parameters are livable for platys and I can stop buying and mixing r/o water. Thats a relief, its only 35 cents a gal but i spend way more in gas getting it. Thanks.

jaysee 06-18-2012 08:00 PM

there are plenty of differing opinions on how fish should be kept. Different forums have different attitudes about things. Here, people are really into the water chemistry. Elsewhere, not so much. And everything in between. I don't know if your water chemistry is "good" for platys, as all that g, k, and dh are things I don't care about. I'm sure there are people with your water that are keeping platys without having to buy their water.

marshallsea 06-18-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1121183)
there are plenty of differing opinions on how fish should be kept. Different forums have different attitudes about things. Here, people are really into the water chemistry. Elsewhere, not so much. And everything in between. I don't know if your water chemistry is "good" for platys, as all that g, k, and dh are things I don't care about. I'm sure there are people with your water that are keeping platys without having to buy their water.

Your response makes sense, as usual. Sometimes I cant see the forest for the trees. Once again, thank you.