Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Black spot inside fish?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/black-spot-inside-fish-10462/)

Snowflake117 12-31-2007 10:07 PM

Black spot inside fish??

Hi There,

I recently added 6 Tiger barb to my tank (10g) to go with 1 tiger barb, that I had in the tank for a month now. In doing so I noticed that, within an hour, the new fish look as if something inside of them turned black in one spot. The old fish doesn't have it; he was being very aggressive with them at first, in which i took him out and added him in a few hours later. Is their something i can get for them or are they sick? Also, it has been about a week and the other fish seems to have settled but does chase the new fish around. I have checked their fins and they are fine. Will he eventually stop this?...Please help :)

Thanks.

herefishy 12-31-2007 10:50 PM

Tiger barbs are known for their "nippiness". Although they are not territorial in nature, they do establish a heirarchy, pecking order if you will. Not a whole4 lot you can do except maybe get a bigger tank. You can tolerate their behavior or exchange your fish for other less aggressive fish.

crazy4fish 01-01-2008 07:33 PM

i agree. you should get new fish or a bigger tank.

Snowflake117 01-02-2008 09:29 PM

Well the mean tiger seems to have settled a little, but does still chase. I'll try a bigger tank, but does anyone know what these black spots inside of them could be?...it almost seems as if something inside of them exploded but black :?

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know :)
Thanks [/u]

Mirta 01-03-2008 11:49 AM

We can't imagine that spot. Post a pic, please! My tigers have spots but they look naturally fine.

crazy4fish 01-03-2008 03:09 PM

yes a pic would help a lot! :wink:

Julie's Julies 01-03-2008 03:12 PM

For what it's worth, a friend just bought some tiger barbs and a few of them have a single black spot in between their middle stripes. They are all fine and healthy, so it might just be a natural mark.

crazy4fish 01-03-2008 03:55 PM

does anyone else have tiger barbs with a blckish spot in the middle? :?

Snowflake117 01-04-2008 04:51 PM

I don't have a pic, but im not going to worry about it too much. They seem normal. Thanks everyone, if you hear about anything similar please let me know :wink:

ArKitEKt47 05-11-2008 10:11 PM

my tiger barbs have same spot(s). they seem to be doing well but i read somewhere about parasite larva from snails. this may be true bc i noticed the spots just after adding a new plant to the tank... a plant that the tiger barbs love and sleep around.