Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What fish should i get for my 55 gallon, Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-fish-should-i-get-my-10454/)

nickp8671 12-31-2007 04:52 PM

What fish should i get for my 55 gallon, Suggestions?

What fish should i get for my 55 gallon. i want an attractive fish that is peacefull and also low maintenance. also i do not want any more livebearers.

Size of aquarium 55
2. Salt water aquarium
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 4 months
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium. sailfin mollies 10, snails, pleco, corydoras 5
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? yes
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 80
7. What make/model filter are you using? penguin 4000
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? yes
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? 50% 2 days ago
11. How often do you perform water changes? every saturay
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? twice a day flake food
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? 12 hours a day.
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? what new fish should i get
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. all 0
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? strips
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store. a week ago schooled with other fish like normal

herefishy 12-31-2007 09:40 PM

Danios, rasboras, gouramis, a huge school of cardinal tetras.............

SeaSerpant 01-01-2008 01:10 PM

If you get a gourami make sure it is dwarf or it will eat the cardinal tetras.

Cody 01-01-2008 03:44 PM

Protozona Barbs, Harlies, Inverts, Cories, Otos, etc.
[/url]

crazy4fish 01-01-2008 07:39 PM

dwarf gouramies are awsome! i had one once and i loved it! you should definatly get some of them.
other suggestions: CHERRY BARBS(they wont nip like other barbs), RUMMY NOSE TETRA(i had them too and loved them), DANIOS (i dont personally care for them but they would fit in) RAINBOW FISH(they will bring great color), RAMS(also great color), BETTA.

i think those would be good additions. :wink:

jeaninel 01-01-2008 08:33 PM

Wait...in note #2 you answered salt water tank. But is this freshwater that you've added some salt for the mollies? Your snails and cories won't do well with salt.

Anyway, I love Pearl Gourami's. They seem a little more peaceful than the dwarfs or blue/golds. Not sure how the mollies would do with them though.

Boesemani Rainbows are also nice. They're colorful and active. A large school of Harlequin Rasboras or Rummy Nose would look nice too.

Lupin 01-02-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSerpant
If you get a gourami make sure it is dwarf or it will eat the cardinal tetras.

Which species of gouramis will eat the cardinals?:question: Pearls, dwarf, honey, Colisa labiosa and Colisa fasciata should be fine. The three-spot gouramis and all their strains will bully their smaller tankmates. Paradise fish will absolutely make a meal on small tetras.

crazy4fish 01-02-2008 10:19 AM

yeah is it a freshwater with a bit of salt? because you said saltwater but listed freshwater fish. :question: and i dont think dwarf gouramis will bully the other fish. mine didnt anyway.