Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   iron rocks and plants. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/iron-rocks-plants-104539/)

taylor13 06-17-2012 05:53 PM

iron rocks and plants.

So recently i have found these red rocks. There a deep red color. I figured they were rich in iron.. So i want to try them in my aquarium but i wanted you guys opinion first.
Posted via Mobile Device

marshallsea 06-17-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor13 (Post 1119728)
So recently i have found these red rocks. There a deep red color. I figured they were rich in iron.. So i want to try them in my aquarium but i wanted you guys opinion first.
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe an iron rock would be a huge mistake. Metal of any kind is bad, except maybe stainless. But im new, so wait for a second opinion. They might be a meteorite.

Varkolak 06-17-2012 07:14 PM

Like red lava rocks or rocks you just found outside and happen to be red? I try to avoid rocks that are too unusual because you never know whats hiding in that little patch of w/e color

Byron 06-17-2012 08:07 PM

This is a possible danger, unless you can somehow determine geologically what the rock is. I agree with the other members not to use these.

Iron is a toxic heavy metal that will kill bacteria, plants and fiish in excess, and as a plant nutrient it is just one of several micro-nutrients. There is more than sufficient in most good fertilizers, and there might be some in your tap water for that matter.

taylor13 06-17-2012 09:46 PM

i believe they are some sort of iron rich clay or something. As they were found near a fairly large deposit of clay. Even tho they look like big rocks. Also i have rocks in the aquarium now that i found months ago. I just realized they have streaks of iron in them to.
Posted via Mobile Device

marshallsea 06-17-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor13 (Post 1119973)
i believe they are some sort of iron rich clay or something. As they were found near a fairly large deposit of clay. Even tho they look like big rocks. Also i have rocks in the aquarium now that i found months ago. I just realized they have streaks of iron in them to.
Posted via Mobile Device

You should get them out. Iron lives to rust and will impose itself on anything in contact with it. But they sound like very interesting rocks. I would love to see a pic or two.

taylor13 06-18-2012 04:07 PM

they dont seem to be harming anything. They have been in the aquarium since like september. They havent caused any harm yet but if they do i will take them out immedietly. And i havent figured out the pic thing. But when i do i will post them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 06-18-2012 04:36 PM

To post photos, click the "Manage Attachments" button in the area below the blue line reading "Additional Options." Then in the pop-up window click "Browse" and find the photo on your PC. Click "Upload" and if it is a jpg file it will upload.