Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cant figure out nitrite reading (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cant-figure-out-nitrite-reading-104509/)

jake5757 06-17-2012 02:11 PM

cant figure out nitrite reading
 
1 Attachment(s)
Nitrites have been 0 untill this am's testing which revealed this weird color anybody experienced this is it high or low? picture is what its reading. This is my total reading with my api master test kit as of this am
Ammonia 0.25
PH 8
Nitrite ????
Nitrate 10ppm

jake5757 06-17-2012 02:19 PM

live meter for my ammonia / ph as well
 
1 Attachment(s)
this is my live in tank reading as of this am

jake5757 06-17-2012 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
updated nitrite reading 5 minutes ago heres what i got

marshallsea 06-17-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake5757 (Post 1119408)
updated nitrite reading 5 minutes ago heres what i got

I have to ask, are you sure you're using the right bottles and procedures? The colors almost match nitrate. Are the fish acting normally? That having been said, whatever the problem is, water changes will be at least a huge part of the solution. So do some 50% water changes daily until it comes down.

jake5757 06-17-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1119431)
I have to ask, are you sure you're using the right bottles and procedures? The colors almost match nitrate. Are the fish acting normally? That having been said, whatever the problem is, water changes will be at least a huge part of the solution. So do some 50% water changes daily until it comes down.

I know they look identical to the ph high or nitrates test actually almost exact color match to ph high test i did today. fish are very active heres a link to a video i took 5 minutes ago of my fish and tank. thanks for your imput.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwEBm...ature=youtu.be

jake5757 06-17-2012 03:23 PM

what i dont get is i have the fluval c3 power filter and i swapped out carbon bags for their clearmax bags which is supposed to trap phosphates and nitrites and nitrates also added nitra zorb pack for nitrites nitrates and ammonia + a double does of cycle bacteria and aqua plus to be sure.

rhymon78 06-17-2012 03:27 PM

That is not correct, the nitrite solution comes out of the bottle blue, are you sure you are using the correct bottle??

that is either the high ph, or one of the nitrate bottles. You are using just 1 bottle for the nitrite test right?

If not then your test kit is defective and needs returning to where you purchased it from.

You would only get one of two readings, either a 0ppm level reading which would be that very light blue colour, or some variant of those purples. If there was higher than 5ppm nitrite it would just stay dark purple.

If it is none of what I have mentioned then could you do a video of you testing your water, showing the bottles and your procedure?

jake5757 06-17-2012 03:30 PM

video on its way of test procedure

rhymon78 06-17-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake5757 (Post 1119459)
what i dont get is i have the fluval c3 power filter and i swapped out carbon bags for their clearmax bags which is supposed to trap phosphates and nitrites and nitrates also added nitra zorb pack for nitrites nitrates and ammonia + a double does of cycle bacteria and aqua plus to be sure.

Can I just ask why you did all this?

Is your tank an established tank? has it cycled etc?

Adding chemicals to deal with ammonia and nitrites, unless its an emergency and you dose with Seachem prime for example is not really a good idea, the filter and the bacteria contained in your tank should be sufficient to deal with the waste produced by the fish.

rhymon78 06-17-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake5757 (Post 1119469)
video on its way of test procedure

It could be the nitro zorb product you put in your tank, could be interfering with the testing ability of the API kit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2