Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   I did this backwards (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/i-did-backwards-104408/)

KPainter 06-16-2012 11:30 AM

I did this backwards

I joined and jumped in, pretty much how I do things in life too. I should know better though, because I run an enormous forum (not fish related) and we encourage people to post intros too.

So. I've just set up a tank, the first one I've had in about 12 years. Things sure have changed since then! Anyway, I set up the tank in my office for a calming influence. So far all it's done is distract me. In a good way! And oddly enough, none of our 4 cats seem vaguely interested in it.

I work at home so I'm around a lot, but if I'm online frequently it's probably because I'm avoiding a deadline.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all!

kitten_penang 06-16-2012 12:08 PM

i think you shouldn't add any more fishes.since the tetras themselves get to around 2 inches each.minus the deco and gravel ( assuming you have that ) it leaves less then 16 gallons where as these fish are recommended to be kept in a min 20 gallon tank

KPainter 06-16-2012 12:22 PM

I feel like I need the cories to help keep the tank clean, though. The tank is also pretty well planted and I was under the impression you could have a few more fish if you had live plants.

kitten_penang 06-16-2012 01:02 PM

a prolonged high nutrient level could cause issues in the future.more plants and deco means less water and a higher concentration of nutrients you'll have to balance it off with the lighting time and regular wc or you could get problem algae or bacterial bloom.

KPainter 06-16-2012 01:04 PM

What if I upgrade the filter to a 30? Would that help?

kitten_penang 06-16-2012 01:17 PM

larger filter means more water flow, it will help but regular wc is the best if a tank is over stocked.in a densely planted tank rcs would do better then corries as corries need open spaces to forage for left over food and will stir up debris in the gravel or sand if tank isn't regularly cleaned.where as the rcs will actually eat the debris and left over food but not stir up the debris.

KPainter 06-16-2012 01:23 PM

Sorry, I don't know what rcs is. I assume it's a type of fish?

Boredomb 06-16-2012 08:35 PM

Welcome to TFK KPainter! Btw RCS are Red Cherry Shrimp.

KPainter 06-16-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1118674)
Welcome to TFK KPainter! Btw RCS are Red Cherry Shrimp.

Thanks! I'm working on getting some shrimp now. Really bummed I can't have cories. They're cute and that's not something I usually say about fish.

kitten_penang 06-17-2012 12:56 AM

as we say here.up-grade and get a larger tank but don't worry soon you'll be hooked and you'll have MTS just like the rest of us.
MTS = Multiply Tank Syndrome