Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55 Gallon stocking question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55-gallon-stocking-question-104354/)

AustinCharles 06-15-2012 03:06 PM

55 Gallon stocking question

Hi, I have been rasing and taking care of fish for around 2 years now but have never messed with cichlids yet and I recently began to stock my 55 with a few..

heres what i currently have in my 55 Gallon.
1 female Convict
1 Blood Parrot
4 Silver dollars
1 Black Pleco

I really would like any comments/suggestions on anything I'm doing right or wrong and will this setup work?

Thanks!!

dlambert 06-16-2012 08:32 AM

i think all those fish have similar enough water requirements.. plecos are usually fine with cichlids as long as they are not too small.. i've heard of people keeping silver dollars with them too.. i have barbs with jewel cichlids and they pretty much keep themselves out of trouble so i think silver dollars should be fine. i dont think the parrot and convict will be best buddies, but 55gallons should be plenty of space for them to stay out of each others way if they need to. imo 55 gallons is plenty for what you listed. personally i like seeing the interaction between pairs of same species tho :)

AustinCharles 06-16-2012 08:04 PM

Hmm yah, I was thinking on maybe getting another blood parrot, but was a little concerned with tank size as I would love to see them reach their full size. I would hate to overcrowd!

CallieDee 07-01-2012 02:42 PM

I would stick with that. I have 2 Jack Dempseys, a Pleco and a blood parrot in my 55 and just got 4 rosy barbs for tank mates and everyone seems to be fine with each other. I guess the rule of thumb is 1" of their adult size for every gallon of water. Keep in mind the Pleco will get about 14". Sounds like a cool tank though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Phillip J 07-02-2012 07:03 PM

You need 6 silver dollars in order for them to be happy by the way so keep that in mind. I would try for a pair instead of 1 of both ,but thats just me.

Byron 07-06-2012 01:34 PM

The convict cichlid may be trouble waiting to happen. Please have a read of the profile info for an explanation, click the shaded name.

Tazman 07-06-2012 09:41 PM

I have to agree with Byron on this one.

The convict is going to be very hit and miss with those tank mates in that size tank. Once the female gets into spawning mode she will be extremely aggressive...NOTHING you can do will change that.

Olympia 07-06-2012 09:50 PM

Yup. Convicts are the only cichlids I've ever had. My pair went into spawning mode. A 9" common pleco, I think he decided he wanted the eggs. At the end of it he was shredded up and bleeding. Plecos have thick skins so I was shocked.

But will a lone female still be like this?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 07-06-2012 09:51 PM

When she is ready to spawn regardless of whether there is another female or male present, yes she will be aggressive..it is pre-programmed into their genetics and cannot be changed,.

jaysee 07-07-2012 05:50 AM

Have you even seen full grown blood parrots? A 55 is in no way large enough for a long term home.

I keep a lone female con and she would kill me if she could.