Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Are my fish acting alright? with Video, PLEASE reply!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-fish-acting-alright-video-please-104324/)

LyzzaRyzz 06-15-2012 01:18 AM

Are my fish acting alright? with Video, PLEASE reply!!

is my tank alright - YouTube

is my tank alright 2 - YouTube

Ive been watching my fish, and they seem to all be hyper!
I havent changed anything in the tank.

In the first video, im worried about the female dalmation molly in the lower left corner. What kind of dance is that? Its not a shimmy, or flashing, but almost, swimming in a circle...
In the second video, both of my dalmation mollies, male and a female, running along the glass, over and over..what could be causing that?

I ran out of tests, though i did a water change yesterday about 40%, but no gravel cleaning as i had done that the day before.

my params were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and 20ppm nitrAte.

Id like you guys to look at the whole tank anf tell me if my fish seem out of sorts to you...

thank you very much!

Varkolak 06-15-2012 01:21 AM

whats the weather supposed to be like tonight?

LyzzaRyzz 06-15-2012 01:57 AM

Windy but clear.
The weather makes fish act differently?

Varkolak 06-15-2012 02:12 AM

Yup a lot of fish will go nuts if a thunderstorm is coming there are some who will huddle at the bottom and some that go into a frenzy. They don't look like anything is wrong with them and i doubt its anything wrong with the tank because both are doing it. Its almost like they thought they were getting fed then got a big fat DENIED and are still looking, if the weathers fine then I'm not sure

LyzzaRyzz 06-15-2012 02:20 AM

Hmm, maybe they are just hungry!
Since I took the ghosties out, I've been feeding them a lot less, and more often. It helps me make sure everybody gets one or two granules at a time. Lol

They freak out whenever I get up close to the tank, almost jumping to get ahead of each other!
When I was watching them, I was across the room, about twelve feet.
The big food amount change has got them begging, huh? Lol

I didn't know that writer affected them...who knows, it could suddenly thunderstorm! This is those island. Weather never stays the same. And sudden rain showers is the theme so far in this summer. =]

Byron 06-15-2012 12:02 PM

The behaviour of the molly on the left in the first video is concerning, that is due to stress. This can be brought on by many things, and short-term is not a problem, but long-term will be.

How long has this tank been set up and how long has that molly been in it?

And, what is your GH and pH and temp?

Byron.

LyzzaRyzz 06-15-2012 01:18 PM

I have hard water, the ph is 7.5 and the temp is 77.
I have had the mollies for two weeks, they were the first in that tank, but the gravel and filter is from an older tank. The fish that were in the older tank are not sick.
Could it be stress from a feeding change?
That female usually hangs out with the whit female that is recovering from what I'm guessing is a bacterial infection. It's gone now, just making sure it doesn't come back. Could the Dalmatian be stressed without the white one?
There is another female, and a male in the tank. Possibly not enough females to distribute aggression?

Byron 06-15-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 1117423)
I have hard water, the ph is 7.5 and the temp is 77.
I have had the mollies for two weeks, they were the first in that tank, but the gravel and filter is from an older tank. The fish that were in the older tank are not sick.
Could it be stress from a feeding change?
That female usually hangs out with the whit female that is recovering from what I'm guessing is a bacterial infection. It's gone now, just making sure it doesn't come back. Could the Dalmatian be stressed without the white one?
There is another female, and a male in the tank. Possibly not enough females to distribute aggression?

I don't see aggression, just something making that molly uneasy. New fish can be like this for a few hours to a few days, which is why I asked about time. A sudden change in some water parameter can cause this, like GH and pH, but the numbers you give are fine for molly and I'll assume they have been stable. Which leaves the disease and treatment (medication) which if was in this tank may have affected this fish.

I would not do anything; without knowing the something definite is wrong, trying to do "something" is usually worse and it only adds more stress. Feed normally, do weekly water changes normally (though another in case there is medication left in the tank might help), no sudden changes.

One thing I wold suggest is more floating plants. This can calm fish amazingly.

Byron.

LyzzaRyzz 06-15-2012 07:31 PM

Actually, i didnt medicate of put AQ salt in this tank..i seperated the sick fish from the others.

I got an API master test kit, and my params were ph 6.4, ammonia 0, nitrIte 0 NitrAte 10ppm
I thought 6.4 ph would be soft water? am i wrong?
And if it is, how could i have hard water?
I am going to call the town hall and ask..they should have that record on file. maybe even my parents still have the test they did.

Im not going to do anything besides continue the feeding schedule i have now, and water changes as i have been. I know how doing 'something' about it can turn into whay did i do that?!? Lol.

Thank you so much!

Byron 06-15-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 1117762)
Actually, i didnt medicate of put AQ salt in this tank..i seperated the sick fish from the others.

I got an API master test kit, and my params were ph 6.4, ammonia 0, nitrIte 0 NitrAte 10ppm
I thought 6.4 ph would be soft water? am i wrong?
And if it is, how could i have hard water?
I am going to call the town hall and ask..they should have that record on file. maybe even my parents still have the test they did.

Im not going to do anything besides continue the feeding schedule i have now, and water changes as i have been. I know how doing 'something' about it can turn into whay did i do that?!? Lol.

Thank you so much!

That explains it. Molly must have hard water with a basic pH or they will not be healthy; they frequently develop skin problems, shimmy, fungus and always early demise. That bacterial thing was almost certainly linked to the water. I thought the pH was 7.5 which would be fine, but not 6.4? Do you have numbers for the GH? This you should be able to get from your water supply people, check their website if they have one. Might as well get the KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) too.

My article on hardness and pH mentions the safe ways of adjusting GH and pH. With livebearers, it really can't be too high, so I would use dolomite if you can get it, or aragonite which is similar. You can buy sands and gravels intended for marine tanks made of these substances, usually with crushed coral too. Before we get into methods, we need to know the GH and KH.

If you do have soft water, which seems likely but not absolutely from the pH, soft water fish would suit it better. Less fuss.