Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Paver Sand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/paver-sand-104283/)

FLTekDiver81 06-14-2012 05:43 PM

Paver Sand?

So, I have noticed that people use a variety of different sand for substrate from pool filter sand to play sand. I work for Home Depot, and we sell a paver leveling sand thats very fine and white. This is not to be confused with paver JOINT sand that contains added polymers. This is just a leveling sand. Would this be a safe sand to used if properly rinsed out?
:dunno:

Varkolak 06-14-2012 06:01 PM

What does it list ingredients as? If it says 100% silica or quartz it should be fine both are what common sands are made of. only issue is if its too fine you can end up with it in your filter so that's up to your judgement

Olympia 06-14-2012 06:03 PM

My dad brought me that kind of sand from work and I decided against it as it was just too fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLTekDiver81 06-14-2012 06:07 PM

It only says sillica, but I dont think it said 100%, nor did it list any other added ingredients. With respect to the filter, it is a planted tank so I am basically only utilizing the filter for slight water movement, so I was thinking of using a black pantyhose to cover the filter intake to protect the impeller, OR just shortening the intake tube so its not quite so close to the bottom.

fish monger 06-14-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLTekDiver81 (Post 1116679)
It only says sillica, but I dont think it said 100%, nor did it list any other added ingredients. With respect to the filter, it is a planted tank so I am basically only utilizing the filter for slight water movement, so I was thinking of using a black pantyhose to cover the filter intake to protect the impeller, OR just shortening the intake tube so its not quite so close to the bottom.

My only concern would be that it might compact too much for the plants' roots. Someone mentioned that it is very fine. By the way, howdy fellow THDer !

Byron 06-15-2012 11:53 AM

I wouldn't use that paver sand. First, you say "white" and that is not good. Second, I can't remember the reason but I did read elsewhere that paver sand is not good.

The Quikrete Play Sand HD carries is fine, i have it in five tanks now.

Byron.

92smokeaccord 06-16-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1117359)
I wouldn't use that paver sand. First, you say "white" and that is not good. Second, I can't remember the reason but I did read elsewhere that paver sand is not good.

The Quikrete Play Sand HD carries is fine, i have it in five tanks now.

Byron.

i just used the quikrete sand 3 days ago looks good.seems dark when you are washing it and when you buy it but after it settles in the tank its a nice tan...