Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Quarentine Tank help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/quarentine-tank-help-104282/)

balloonmollies3 06-14-2012 05:37 PM

Quarentine Tank help

I own a 56 gallon tank. In it we have 1 gourami, 1 african brown knife fish, 7 tiger barbs, and lastly 2 angel fish. They are all semi-aggresive tropical fish. We originally had the 1 gourami and 2 angelfish and then we introduced the knife fish and then the 7 tiger barbs. Our one angel fish had large gorgeous fins and is doing amazing. The rest of the fish are doing great except the other angel fish. He has much smaller fins than the 1st angel fish but his body size is the same. About two weeks ago I noticed that the other fish were bullying him and nipping his fins and he used to have beautiful large fins but now they are almost gone because they have all been eaten off. Yesterday, the angel fish was very sluggish and all 7 of the tiger barbs were surrounding it nipping it all over and the angel fish actually flopped over and floated on his side while they nipped at him. His body is very damaged. I felt so bad for him and put him in our fry box net to keep him from getting picked on. His entire body looks like it was shredded. I am going to put him in our empty 10 gallon tank as like a quarentine tank but I don't have any extra gravel. Is it okay if there is no gravel in the tank and how exactly should I go up setting up the tank and how can I do the best to restor him back to his former self

Romad 06-15-2012 06:24 AM

Sorry to hear about your angel :( Long finned fish are just too tempting for tiger barbs as you found out.

I never put gravel in the quarantine/hospital tank sioce you typically want to be able to clean the bottom easily and also to look for signs of unhealthy poop with new or sick fish.

Just keep the water super clean by doing lots of water changes. If his body is that bad you might want to dose with some anti-bacterial meds. to ward off secondary infections.

Can you set up a sep. tank for the angels? If not, you might want to consider re-homing them or the tiger barbs.

balloonmollies3 06-15-2012 08:50 PM

Thanks. We are probably going to end up separating the angels from the larger tank. His body is pretty bad and we have set up another tank for him and the other angel will probably join him there. Do you have any advice on anything I can put in the tank or anything to help the healing? Or stop infections?

Romad 06-16-2012 05:12 AM

I've used Melafix in the past on wounded fish with great results. It's readily available at the chain stores.