Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi all from Newcastle upon Tyne uk (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-all-newcastle-upon-tyne-uk-104265/)

Badbackal 06-14-2012 02:46 PM

Hi all from Newcastle upon Tyne uk

Hi all I am busy going through the 2 most stressful things in life, separating from wife (divorce one day) and moving home (hopefully on the 29th June) I have in preperation of moving into new home purchased a trigon 190 tank how bliss.

GwenInNM 06-15-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbackal (Post 1116494)
Hi all I am busy going through the 2 most stressful things in life, separating from wife (divorce one day) and moving home (hopefully on the 29th June) I have in preperation of moving into new home purchased a trigon 190 tank how bliss.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your life changes. Good things can come from changes. I've never heard of a Trigon, but the size sounds wonderful! What are your plans for stocking it? Do a fishless cycle before you put fish in. It's well worth it!

Gwen

Badbackal 06-15-2012 07:34 AM

Hi gwen yes the tank is a corner tank and as title suggests it is 190 litres, when you say a fishless cycle would I just set tank up and let run for a week?
Thank you
Alan

GwenInNM 06-15-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbackal (Post 1117204)
Hi gwen yes the tank is a corner tank and as title suggests it is 190 litres, when you say a fishless cycle would I just set tank up and let run for a week?
Thank you
Alan

No, not quite. Set your tank up, and get a piece of raw or cooked shrimp (doesn't matter). You can also just use fish food, but the shrimp may go a bit faster. Put it in a small net or piece of pantyhose. You don't have to do this, but it will keep it in one place, as it starts to decay. As soon as you get a reading for ammonia (first part in the cycling process) you can take it out. Keep checking your water parameters for nitrites, which is very harmful to fish (so is ammonia) and once you have 0 nitrites (second part of the cycling process) you can add fish. Cycling can take 4-8 weeks, but I've usually had it done in 4 weeks. Add fish you want slowly, don't get all of them at once. You want to be careful about creating a bio-load (waste) that your newly founded good bacteria can process adequately. If you don't overfeed, you should be good to go, without getting another ammonia spike. There is lots of good information on this site, about doing a fishless cycle. It's totally the way to go. This prevents you from buying "hardy" fish that may withstand the cycling process, only to than have fish you don't want once you're done. No fish are harmed in this process :-D

You can do a 30-50% water change before you add fish, after you are done cycling. Have fun and good luck!

Gwen

NeonRainbow123 06-15-2012 03:29 PM

Woohoo Newcastle!!

Molinious 06-15-2012 07:59 PM

I read Newcastle and was kinda hoping for under lyme haha, welcome to the forum tho

eaturbyfill 06-17-2012 02:47 PM

Welcome, and good luck with the tank!

willow 06-19-2012 04:23 AM

hello and welcome.
life really likes to chuck stuff at us.
god luck with the tank.:-D

Romad 06-19-2012 04:26 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

There's nothing better than a new tank IMO. Good luck with it and ask as many questions as you need to along the way.