Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   A Mom that needs help w/a new 2 gal. tank!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mom-needs-help-w-new-2-a-10425/)

makjmama 12-30-2007 04:21 PM

A Mom that needs help w/a new 2 gal. tank!!!

Happy New Year!
I'm one confussed Mama!! Grandma (my Mom) gave my 9 year old and 5 year old really "cute" 2 gallon tanks for x-mas. ( I really believe she is getting back at me for something I put her through in my teen years hahaha!) Anyhow, I've been to Petsmart and lurking around this site for answers........and it's made me more confussed then I was. :shock:

This is a "freshwater" 2 gallon fish tank kit. It came with a pump, but no heater and this is where all my ?'s start.

So far we have set up the one tank last night. I purchased the water conditioner for the water. We have purchased two "corkscrew" plants from Petsmart and placed them in the tank. The water looks good still.........NO FISHIES yet!

I want to put a fish, frog or snail in the tank that wont be a ton of work. We already have 2-cats, 2 Pugs, 2 daughters and a hubby!! heehee

Could you please please please share with us what would be a good choice for our tank? Also, we are very unclear about this "cycling" issue.........and if we should or shouldn't get a heater. We've heard at PS we should........and another pet store we shouldn't in that small of a tank it would boil the fishies.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my silly questions, but I want to make sure I dont kill the fishies the first day we get the home.....we are very much pet lovers :-)

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Jasey 12-30-2007 04:38 PM

I have a 2.5 gallon tank and a heater for it. But whether or not I actually use the heater depends on the room temperature. My fish like the temperature around 75-78 degrees F, but we keep our thermostat at my house on 72. So I keep the heater on a low to medium setting which keeps the water temp. constant, at around 77 degrees F. However in my dorm room, the temperature of the room is a lot warmer, so I don't need to use the aquarium heater and the water temp stays around 76.

I would get a thermometer if you don't already have one and just observe for a couple days to see what the temperature stays around. Then, depending on the type of fish you get (some like warmer temps. than others), you may need a heater to raise the temp. or it could be fine at room temperature.

tophat665 12-30-2007 05:19 PM

Get a male betta and a heater. There are just about no other fish that will work in a 2 gallon tank.

willow 12-30-2007 06:00 PM

hi
i agree get a male Betta,they're lovely.
and welcome aboard. :)

Holly 12-30-2007 08:58 PM

What you guys thing about 2 small goldfish. Cold water so they won't need a heater and then each kid could have a fish of thier own

makjmama 12-30-2007 09:30 PM

Thank you to all that have responded!

Well,
I trip to Petco and having two very informative young fish experts we ended up coming home with a beautiful blue/purple male Beta. They did warn me he "might" not make it but they are the hardiest and I needed a fish in the tank. I do not have a heater as of yet......but did purchase a themometer for both the girls tanks. We placed one of them in the Beta tank and it's reading 70* so far. I believe I will need to purchase a heater from my youngest daughters tank since she only has outside walls that can accomadate her tank. Since our temps at night are in the single digits and below 0* I wont attempt not to have a heater in hers.
Our new "friend" seems very happy :-) he's swimming around and checking out his new fresh plants he has in his tank!
Thank you again for all your input! If you have any other suggestions PLEASE feel free to share!
This was such a stressful event! hahaha :lol:

Little-Fizz 12-30-2007 10:01 PM

I'm not sure if a Betta would attack a snail or not but if they won't... Get one!!! They are awesome and I'll bet your kids would love it. Get a mystery snail. And I mean Pomacea bridgesii.

southafrica1001 12-30-2007 11:40 PM

im not to sure about the goldfish holly, just because they grow quite large and wouldnt thrive in a small tank for very long

good luck with the tank makjmama

Little-Fizz 12-30-2007 11:41 PM

I think its safe to say that if you don't want them to die a goldfish is a no no.

tophat665 12-30-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly
What you guys thing about 2 small goldfish. Cold water so they won't need a heater and then each kid could have a fish of thier own

Goldfish need about 10 gallons each.