Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
- - Algea and anubus (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/algea-anubus-104233/)
Algea and anubus
I want to ask 2 questions in this post.
First, is all algea bad for the tank? This growing on my wood looks kinda cool, kinda like carpeted moss?
I had problems with some black algea(diatom?) Was told it was common with new tanks and it will disappear on its own. I got a otto and now most of it is gone. The only remnant is this stuff on my anubus.
My other question is, is my anubus done? It hasnt change much, that black stuff has not gone away.
To answer your question about all algae being bad. IMO no algae is bad but if left unchecked it can take over. I think in planted tanks it would look unnatural if there was not some. In fact most have some in their tanks somewhere( If they want to emit it or not).
Now from your pics of the log that looks like blue-green algae or cyanobacteria. Well atleast to me it does may not be.... but that's not really an algae. Its bacteria that will thrive off of nutrients in your tank. Its one "algae" that is not easy to get rid of.
Black algae is usually black brush algae but not always there are others as well, Staghorn is another type.
Diatoms are brown and are common in new tanks and do normally go away on their own.
I can't really tell whats on your anubias leaves? It doesn't look black to me?
the pic doesnt pick it up. but there's like a black dust on the leaves. it's on that bud as well. it cant be rubbed off with my fingers.
I dont know the name of the algae but know what you are talking about. I get them on my sometimes. Its in my opinion and in my case too much light.
Algae on anubias can mean too much light.
Agree. If Anubias is in direct overhead light, it usually develops algae, commonly brush algae, which can be a nuisance. Floating plants will deal with this.
I don't see any issues with the plants in the photos, aside from the above. The green on the wood does have an appearance of cyano as Boredomb mentioned, though it may be algae; hard to pin down from the photo. Is it slimy and will it come off on your fingers easily?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.