Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   hornwort problems? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/hornwort-problems-10422/)

bee 12-30-2007 02:25 PM

hornwort problems?

i know that hornwort is considered a difficult plant to kill but i noticed my plants are turning brown and then breaking apparent, they still grow though.do you know whats wrong with it? its a pest waking up and finding it floating all over my tank.
it is growing in a 20 gallon tank with an angel fish, gouramis and a kribensis with florecent lighting and no heater

herefishy 12-31-2007 01:27 AM

Hornwort is, traditionally, used as a floating plant. It is usually sold in bunches and many anchor it to the bottom of the tank. It will grow as an anchored plant, but does much better as a floater.

bee 12-31-2007 01:30 AM

ig et that its a floating plant but it keeps breaking apart and i find it stuck in my filter or stuck inbwteen my other plants, its turning brown and stuff and it just breaks apart but it keeps growing and breaking and growing and breaking

herefishy 12-31-2007 01:47 AM

The lighting may be insufficient in meeting the needs of the plant. Anachris is very demanding when it comes to light, it needs alot.

GThiele113 01-01-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
Anachris is very demanding when it comes to light, it needs alot.

Not at all. In my 125g Anachris is weighted to the bottom and I have less than 1/2 a Watt per gallon using t-8 bulbs and it grows fast and take roots in 5cm river rock

herefishy 01-01-2008 01:08 PM

By demanding, I meant that a proper spectrum needs to be available to the plant. The old watts per gallon axium is archaic and should not be used as a gauge for lighting. It does well in low as well as intense lighting. It is not the quanitity, but the quality of light.

fish_4_all 01-01-2008 04:22 PM

The only time I have been able to keep hornwort alive was to keep it floating in a tank without a hood or to side light the bottom of it when it was planted with a13 PCF light giving it 13 watts right at the stalks of the plant on top of 30 watts over the top. This caused it to get really bushy and thick.

As for the old sections, it doesn't seem to live long for me either. New sections would grow, then anything over 2 weeks old would make a huge mess regardless of my lighting. I hated it and stuck solely to anacharis/elodea because Hornwort always made a mess. The only time I prevented this was with plant tabs and the side lighting.

daisycutter 01-07-2008 06:52 AM

i've had no trouble at all with hornwort and i've managed to get it to grow under an ordinary 60watt lightbulb before i keep it out of my tanks as it grows ecsessivly and have posted bunches of it to other forum members it may be down to water conditions it does not seem to like acidic water conditions also it tends to rest in winter if the temperature gets too low i've noticed if i bring hornwort from outside in the colder months it will disintergrate before a a lesser percentage of it begins to grow

Lupin 01-07-2008 06:58 AM

The trouble with this plant being anchored is they do not grow roots at all so they have the tendency to rot and you have to keep replanting them if you really like them anchored to the substrate.

fish_4_all 01-07-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
The trouble with this plant being anchored is they do not grow roots at all so they have the tendency to rot and you have to keep replanting them if you really like them anchored to the substrate.

I guess that would depend on what species it is. The hornwort I got grew a massive amount of roots and as long as I kept it trimmed low kept the side light on the roots system was massive.