Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Use a power head? FX5 Set up ok?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Tazman 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have been curious about this set up but was not sure how to explain it. So nothing better than a pic to back me up.

Since i am not a big fan of bubbles/air stones i was told by the LFS to get a power head. As you can see in the tank it is next to the intake, pointed diagnol so it bounces of the side glass then the front. I am not sure how this power head helps in replace of the air stone, but i guess it helps circulate the water in the corner.... or is it useless in your opinion?? The fish do seem to play in the current from time to time..
? Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

See less See more
#2 ·
Powerhead is useless for oxygenation unless it is breaking the surface of the water a lot (like a HOB would). It is fine for circulation but nothing more.

All my fish at some point play in the current of my 2 x Maxijet 1200's in my 75g tank. They have no problems in the current even the fry (when I have them in the main tank). I built a spray bar return for my FX5 and that is what I use for surface agitation.

Nice tank , quick question, did you make that heap of gravel in the middle or did the fish? I would really recommend to smooth it flat as being that deep in can possibly cause toxic conditions to develop which is bad.

#3 ·
Yeah my 1 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni has made his home in the rocks right behind that pile. it is no longer there. I have since scattered the pile!!! He is a pain in the butt, but he looks cool.

I looked for a DIY for the spray bar but could not find it.

Other sites have said i should have the air stone to add water and help release gases?? maybe i should just give in and get one.

#4 ·
Sent you a PM about the spraybar as I am not able to post it here as it contains links to other forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.