Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking my work tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-my-work-tank-104206/)

lorax84 06-13-2012 07:40 PM

Stocking my work tank

I just recently took over care of my works fish tank. It's a 90 gallon bow front with a sump. Right now it has one danio and one tiger barb in it but they will most likely be going to a friend of mines tanks. It is currently not heated and sits at about 67 degrees, the ph is about 6.7 My boss is not willing to spend a lot of money on it so I was just going to run it as is and stock it.

My plan at the moment was to do a large school of Golden Barbs (10?) and then maybe a group of bottom fish or a single centerpiece fish. Does anyone have a suggestion for a fish that can be kept with golden barbs that tolerates those temps?

Olympia 06-13-2012 07:49 PM

Odessa barbs are nice.
If you have a really good current in there, hillstream loach are cool. You could make an Asian tank!
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 06-13-2012 09:33 PM

Maybe a trio of dojo loaches provided the tank is long enough for them; they like the cooler temperatures, but they do need a sand substrate. I take it your water is on the soft side to have a pH like that? How much does the water temp dip (or rise) in the winter?

lorax84 06-13-2012 11:30 PM

The tank is gravel and I'm not interested in switching to sand so i don't think dojo loaches will work. They would have been my first choice but my boss isn't gonna pay me to switch gravel for sand and I don't have the time to doit on the weekend. Right now I am looking at a mix of Odessa and golden barbs and maybe a few hill stream loaches of they are around. I'm still open to suggestions though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Varkolak 06-14-2012 01:01 AM

My dojo's are doing fine with gravel, just make sure there are plenty of places to hide

Olympia 06-14-2012 05:42 AM

Just note that the hillstream loach need 2x filtration to provide for their oxygen needs. The water is cold so that's good. Not sure how sumps work so I have no idea of the current.
White cloud mountain minnows should be okay with the other fish, small and fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

lorax84 06-14-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1116160)
Just note that the hillstream loach need 2x filtration to provide for their oxygen needs. The water is cold so that's good. Not sure how sumps work so I have no idea of the current.
White cloud mountain minnows should be okay with the other fish, small and fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, there is plenty of filtration and oxygen. It's a 20 gallon sump with a 700gph pump.

Olympia 06-14-2012 02:56 PM

Sounds good! I wish you luck in finding them! They are wild caught, so if it's the off season in Asia right now you may be out of luck for a few months.

lorax84 06-14-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1116510)
Sounds good! I wish you luck in finding them! They are wild caught, so if it's the off season in Asia right now you may be out of luck for a few months.

Yeah, I have an amazing LFS so I am not worried. They had them a month ago when I was there but there were only a few left. If they are out for the year I'll just get the barbs and wait on the loaches

Olympia 06-14-2012 03:06 PM

Any other plans, or just some two big barb schools?
I think on average you want 1 of these loach for every 10 gallons so they can have their own territory, as they can have turf wars, though that's a lot of loach! :lol: